So what do you do if you're alone Christmas day?

Due to scheduling, I’m evitably stuck at home alone on Christmas. I have my daughter the day before. The day after Christmas - Boxing Day to us - I pick her up and head off to my side of the family. But in between she’s not here, I have no relatives nearby and available, and going all the way to my parents’ and doubling back to get the Small One just isn’t logistically feasible.

So I’ll have a nice Christmas… but it won’t be ON Christmas Day. It’ll be on the 24th and the 26th.

What do people do in this situation?

Note that I live just west of Toronto, if that matters.

If it were me I would…

• Sleep in
  • Check out what sort of Christmas fare is on the TV.
  • Get Chinese takeout (for lunch and dinner!)
  • See who’s around on the SDMB and Facebook
  • Take a walk
  • Get ready for bed but lie down in the living room instead of in bed, and fall asleep in front of the TV

Movie theatre.

The last time I was alone on Christmas day I gave my cat a tuna treat, cried a bit, and watched TV.

Plan ahead for it. Have a bag (or box) of chocolate chip cookies on hand. Eat same.

(On Thanksgiving, as I noted in a thread a few weeks ago, it’s Animal Cracker cookies.)

Once upon a time, as I told in another thread recently, I spent one Christmas Day NOT alone. There was nobody else around, but I had two bottlenosed dolphins to keep company with. It was a pouring rainy day in Honolulu, and everybody else was gone for the holiday week. So I was out there in the rain, with nothing on but swimming trunks and sandals, thawing fish and feeding the critters. You can do that in Hawaii because even on December 25 in the rain, it’s not really cold. Just comfortably cool.

Call far-flung relatives.

I have this weird notion that your local Anglican Church of Canada might have some goings-on. You may even get the chance to chit-chat with some folks. This is, after all, what it’s there for.

If it was me, I’d plan some enjoyable things. I’d do a Midnight Mass or whatever sort of churchy thing was going on (we don’t do those, unless Christmas is on a Sunday like this year), something I don’t usually go to. I’d have some really good books to read, some chocolates to snarf, and Indian food for lunch if possible. And I’d watch a good movie and take a long walk and call my best friend.

Work! (Time-and-a-half: WHOO-HOO!)

Ive gone through a Christmas Day alone before. I wasn't prepared--and it was not fun. Next time, Id do the following:

– Weather permitting during the day, get out of the house. Take a long walk (or XC ski) in a nearby park. Last year, I spent Christmas Day walking through the Calgary Bird Sanctuary, greeting chickadees who would actually come and sit on my hand, looking for food. I had none, but they were cheerful enough about it, and helped brighten a lonely day. Any outdoor rinks in your area? Go for a skate.

– Go to church. It may not be your thing, but if it is, go. Enjoy the traditional story, join in the singing of the carols we all know, perhaps make some friends in the congregation after if there is a coffee hour. Surely there are some non-hyper-religious churches in your area: the United Church and the Presbyterian Church are inoffensive, welcoming to all, and don’t see your visit as an opportunity to ram religion down your throat.

– Stock the fridge. Yes, turkey and all the trimmings is traditional for Christmas, but that’s not practical for one. Since most restaurants are closed and takeout is not possible in our small community, what else would I like? Maybe a small ham, maybe pasta with homemade sauce, maybe even a pot of chili. Because …

– Lots of football is on TV. In between, there are cheesy Christmas movies. Or, prepare the day before by getting videos from the video store, the public library, or look into a service like Netflix. With all those options, something that can be eaten in front of the TV works well.

– Make sure you have booze, if that’s your thing. Football might mean beer and chili, or a ham or pasta might meed a nice wine. Don’t go overboard, of course.

And a couple of other ideas:

– Volunteer. Is there a local soup kitchen or other place for the homeless to go? Maybe they need some help.

– Anybody else that you know of who is alone? Have them over; make a little party. It need not be fancy–snacks, drinks, and a place to go where there are other people to talk to would be nice for those who face the day alone. A local family of my acquaintance does that; I have a standing invitation every Christmas.

Just some thoughts. Hope they’re useful!

How old is your daughter? Is the GO-train or Via an option to help her get to your parent’s place and save you from having to double back?

There may be some community events, open to the public; concerts or shows or tree-lighting ceremonies or something. Look in the community sections of your local paper - there may be groups getting together to do something fun.

If any outdoor rinks are available, go skating!

You don’t have to answer this, but is the relationship with your ex that bad? If she knew you’d be alone on Christmas Day, would she offer to have you come over - especially if she’s hosting several people anyways?

I wish I could trade with you. Last year, my 17 year old son went to stay with my grown daughter. I thought I’d be sad, but I did enjoy it. I rented Christmas DVDs, (get them early they go fast) and ate junk food and had a nice time, just me, the TV and the dog. I talked to them on the phone and it was nice to have the quiet.

This year, my son talked me into letting him have a Christmas party on Christmas day. 20 teenagers in the house…Good lord, what was I thinking to allow this :slight_smile:

Merry Christmas to you

I had an Xmas Day alone a few years ago, and cooked myself a little poussin all to myself, with various trimmings. It seemed quite funny and sad at the same time. I enjoyed the day by myself as it meant unbridled self-indulgence, though it helped that I am a grouch/grinch.

Maybe the Dope could arrange an online party somehow for all the folks who will be alone or in need of company. Time zones will make it difficult but if folks pass through we could all have a beer, a laugh and cry on each others shoulders in a specific thread.

I won’t be alone but I would drop in .

Christmas day eve (or however that goes) before last, I woke up to find my apartment flooded. It was awful-- wet, cold, windy, people trying to blame me for their damned deferred maintenance.

Noisy fans, holes being drilled in walls, no water and sometimes other utilities, then finding about five hundred bucks worth of books ruined.

Good things-- my furniture was all up on it’s wood feet, the curtains were dry cleanable, I didn’t have to drive the highway to hell up to Mom’s, all the repair guys loved me and my bazillion dollar overtime.

I love Chinese food and got to order anything I wanted, no quibbling. Same with tv and internets. No tenseness with my idiot, Idiot BIL.

Really; now that the only kidlet in the family is grown, Christmas Day, on the day, isn’t much anyway.

Spend some quality time with my Xbox and a bottle of rum.

I can’t do that–my job is actually totally closed for once. Unlike the rest of the holiday season.

Note: I work in a grocery store–it’s almost never closed. And I won’t be alone this year.

But one year I was, with plans for Christmas at New Year’s, so I watched movies, put together a puzzle, searched for Christmas presents (hidden in my apartment since purchasing in the summer), read . . . all sorts of not especially exciting time killing stuff. And tried not to feel too sorry for myself.

Eat whatever you want.

Buy yourself a christmas present like a new book or a new movie.

Enjoy.

I mean, seriously, there’s no reason to feel sorry for yourself. I think the media and our culture make such a big deal about being alone on Christmas that it really upsets people. But it’s just a day, and your family is coming right back, or you’ll see them the day after. Sleep late, do whatever you want, eat bad food, and enjoy it!

Welcome to being Jewish.

Make sure that the house is stocked with food. Make use of Netflix. Post on message boards. Take a walk if weather permits.

Wow. That is EXACTLY what I did.