Are there any antiperspirants (not deodorants) that don't contain aluminum?

It appears that after decades of antiperspirant use, my pits are throwing up the white flag and getting a rash. I think it might be from the aluminum compounds in antiperspirant, and my doctor agrees. For further confirmation, my sister reports the same problem.

I am looking for an antiperspirant that contains no aluminum, but it appears to be as fruitful as trying to find kosher ham. I am trying Tom’s of Maine, but there’s some ingredient in there that is actively irritating my pits, which even regular antiperspirants didn’t do. I’ve tried the deodorant crystal as well as other deodorant-only products, and had no luck. :frowning:

So, are there ANY antiperspirants that are aluminum-free?

My husband developed a late-in-life allergy to something in his antiperspirant and solved it just by switching to an unscented variety. Have you tried something like Ban unscented? That’s what he uses now, and he’s been rash-free for at least 6 months.

Yeah, I last used Almay’s fragrance-free antiperspirant. No dice.

I discovered this decades ago. You are not alone and the manufacturers know it too. Therefore, there are always alternatives sitting right there on the same shelf. The big secret is to rotate the package around and read the ingredients label.

Thanks for the snark, :rolleyes: but so far I have tried this and if the label says “anti-perspirant”, the ingredients say “Aluminum Zirconium Tetrachlorohydrex Gly” or another related aluminum ingredient. I’m hoping there’s an exception, maybe somewhere outside Target and Walgreens if necessary.

I have read that Adidas Action 3 anti - perspiration is aluminum free, but I read it was on an older website, so it may not be true. If you see it, though, check it out. Also, there might be some brands of women’s that don’t have it and don’t smell like a garden.

I used to work in the industry. The issue is that an “anti-perspirant” is actually an OTC drug (as it affects a bodily function). The only active ingredients which the FDA allows manufacturers to put in a product and call it an anti-perspirant are several different aluminum salts.

There have occasionally been funky products like the “crystal” that claim to reduce perspiration without aluminum salts, but I’ve never heard of one which works well.

Short of it: no, you’re not going to find an actual anti-perspirant product (at least, not at a big store) which doesn’t contain aluminum salts.

“HyperDri is a revolutionary antiperspirant. HyperDri is the WORLD’S FIRST aluminum-free antiperspirant. There have been many aluminum-free “deodorants”, but none that addressed the wetness issue of Hyperhidrosis”

It looks like the Adidas stuff has been discontinued. Figures.

Wow - $25 a pop! I may have to bite the bullet and try it, though.

Holy hell, that’s expensive. If you do try it, come back and let us know if/how well it worked out for you, okay?

Um, I dunno. Apparently you have to apply it with your hands, which increases the ick factor. Then again, I would have the driest hands on the block.

My comment was not meant to be mean spirited. I find both types on my shelves. I would suggest trying the dollar stores. You might save money and your skin. Propylene glycol is what the non aluminum ones use. I have a Right Guard Sport I’m reading from now. It cost a dollar at Dollar Tree. This is a popular brand.

Those deodorant stones are an aluminum compound, I always found it kind of funny. It is pretty much just a crystalline form of the active ingredient in most deodorant. They never seemed to work worth a darn, I assume a solution is a more effective method of application.

I know you are looking for anti-antiperspirants specifically, but it is worth mentioning that for those of us that can not stand antiperspirants, there does not seem to be much choice for either unscented or effective non aluminum compound based products.

That’s not an anti-perspirant; it’s a deodorant. While the two terms tend to get used interchangeably, they mean different things. Read the front of the label; I guarantee you it doesn’t contain the word “anti-perspirant”. It’ll help keep you from smelling, but it won’t do a thing to keep your underarms dry.

Just googled Right Guard and I see a picture of the Right Guard Sport package, distinctly saying deodorant, not antiperspirant, on the front.

I stand corrected on this important nuance. I do use the terms interchangeably because I don’t have a problem staying dry. I don’t want to stink too much though. Like the ad said, “Never let em’ see you sweat.” Go ahead, watch me sweat. I don’t care, but at least you don’t have to hold your nose.

PS. Another personal opinion is that I would not want something to stop my sweat. I want my natural radiator mechanism working unimpaired.

Some people have leaky radiators.

I second the Klima hyper-dri. Best antiperspirant I have tried. I know its a bit pricey, but worth it to not soak my shirt during meetings. It took a few days to really kick in, but I wont bother with anything else now.

I don’t see much of a cooling effect from pit sweat unless I am wearing a sleeveless shirt (which is almost never), so I opt for the stink-controlling properties of antiperspirant. :smiley: