Why is the Wolverine movie so unliked?

I can’t figure it out. Sure they took a stupid turn with Deadpool but otherwise the movie wasn’t too bad. I thought all the characters were pretty well done.

Other than the Deadpool megamutant why all the hate?

Stupid plot, arbitrary changes, bad dialogue, has even less to do with the comics than the other X-Men movies, obvious attempt at cashing-in on a character’s popularity, and being the 4th movie of what is essentially a franchise that almost died after #3

Having never read a single comic book and only ever seen the movies, I still thought it was stupid.

It didn’t help that Wolverine’s brother’s power looked about as useful as Meg Griffin’s from that Y2K Family Guy episode.

How many times did Wolverine look up to the sky, his arms stretched out and scream “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!”

One is too many. They did it like 87 times.

I remember liking it at the time… but then in hindsight deciding it wasn’t very good.
A lot of the elements were there, there was certainly potential… it just didn’t click.

I think the thing that bothered me the most is that they failed to take the premise to the extreme it needed.

You have two characters who can heal nearly instantly… Their fight in the logging town-- it should have been BRUTAL. I realize they needed to ease up on the blood for the MPAA rating… but you needed them to kick each other’s asses all over the place. AND you needed to have Victor destroy Wolverine in order for anything that takes place after it to make a lick of sense. This is often the case with franchise characters–they (studios, editors, etc) are afraid to let the character take real punishment because they think it makes the character look bad.
Wolverine needed to get his ass kicked in such a way that he knew he HAD to go to Stryker to get “help.” As it was… it just looked like “Aw shucks. He won this round”

They also needed to make Wolverine borderline evil or at least amoral at the beginning. Victor had to be worse but Wolverine needed to be a killer on his level and then decide/be inspired to stop.

I didn’t mind the concept of “Deadpool” but it doesn’t make a lot of sense to go there and not use it. Reynolds was fine in his scenes… but they should have let that carry over into the super grafting mutant if they wanted that to be Deadpool OR just make it Mimic a character that already exists and a concept that already existed.

Also the scene where he first popped his claws in the bathroom–the CG was AWFUL.

It wasn’t awful, but it was definitely worse than the first two movies.

The good:

• The montage of Logan and Creed kicking ass through history.
  • The whole mission to get the paperweight.
  • Sabertooth vs. the teleporter (because of a scene from the comics with AoA Sabertooth).

The bad:

• Taking good bits of Wolverine’s backstory from the first two X-Men movies and expanding them in ways that don’t make sense.
  • Deadpool In Name Only.
  • Wasting Agent Zero.
  • I didn’t like “Silver Fox’s” (Logan’s girlfriend’s) treatment.

I like it. I don’t love it, but I like it.

However, why do his CGI blades look so bad? They’re horrible.

I loved the movie. It seems odd to say, but it isn;t my favorite movie in the series, but if I was going to pick one to watch, it would be Wolverine.

It kind of bugged me that big fight took place on a cooling tower and not on one of the reactors. They destroyed one of the cooling towers. So what?

Liev Schreiber as Sabertooth ? Really ? This is Sabertooth. This is Liev Schreiber. I don’t… I just… did they cast him on a bet, or… ?

I thought, based purely on looks, they perfectly cast Sabretooth in the first Xmen. There was no way to better represent him on screen. When I saw Leiv was cast as Sabretooth I thought WTF too but I thought he pulled it off well enough in the end.

I also found it odd that the computers were super modern in the 1970’s lab where the adamantium is bonded to Wolverine. It’s like they were afraid old computers/technology would scare “the kids” away from the movie.

Because it paled in comparison to some of the other X-men movies. The first 2 X-men films had better actors. Ian Mckellan and Patrick Stewart were sorely missed. The guy who played Stryker was horrible compared to Brian Cox’s performance. Singer’s direction was also missed. In truth, X3 wasn’t a very good film, and Wolverine continued the downward slide. Hell, they had to reboot the series after Wolverine. I did like the reboot.

Wolverine was a very cliché action movie, more so than the other X-men movies. Screaming no at the sky, walking away from explosions without looking back, and bad CGI were too abundant in the film. Also, I don’t think the love story was handled well.

In addition, they wasted a lot of interesting characters (especially fan favorite Gambit) by having them show up, have a pointless fight scene, then more or less fuck off. Lots of scenes just weren’t necessary for the plot and felt shoehorned in.

As people describe them, I can remember each of the scenes mentioned in this thread. I couldn’t put them in proper order aside from the first scene and the last scenes.

Had you asked me cold to describe the plot of the movie, I would have been stumped. I wouldn’t say it was terrible but it was entirely forgettable.

He is a big dude and he packed on muscle for the role. He can do menacing very well. The only way you could make him look like the comic book was to do some CGI. I thought he was very good in the role. Too many fanboys scream about how their comicbook heroes look in film. Its not a cartoon, its going to be different. But there is no good reason to totally change a character like Deadpool.

They decided a better way to represent him (and be the co-star of the film) was to get someone who could act.

Was that the riverboat gambler guy? I didn’t even understand what his power was. Shooting some sort of electric pulse to a deck of cards and turning them into throwing stars? Shooting the same pulse into a cane so he could spin it around a little and helicopter around? And then somehow be able to kick Wolverine’s immortal-200-year-military-fighting-experienced ass with some electric karate?

He can convert potential energy into kinetic energy in objects. Cards are just his preferred object.

I see. Well that scene contains nothing but the best possible uses I can come up with for that ability, so hats off to them. :expressionless:

No doubt. I’m trying to remember the film as well and the only thing I can come up with is:

1. His brother is a dick. (Was it his brother?)
  2. So was the chick. (Which I called the second I laid eyes on her.)

As to what they did or the major conflict or the resolution… no idea.