What does medical abbreviation bx mean?

I have a copy of some medical transcripts that I’m trying to understand. I’ve got most of the *x abbreviations figured out – Dx, Rx, Sx, Hx, etc.

But I haven’t figured out or found out what “bx” means, and I haven’t managed to find it on-line either. Anybody know?

When I take a closer look again, there might be a few others I don’t know also.

Bx is for biopsy.

To fill out your list, diagnosis, prescription, symptoms, history.

Thank you both. I think there’s also Px for Prognosis.
And I vaguely think I remember seeing Ox somewhere. What is that?

bx for biopsy seems like an odd usage in my case – it was a psychological evaluation. Could it also be used for other kinds of evaluation like that, in that context? I didn’t notice if they actually took any brain samples :stuck_out_tongue:

And where does Rx for Prescription come from? All the others make sense (Symptoms begins with S etc.).

And where does the “x” come from at all???

I’d guess in that context it was being used for “behavior.”

“The Master” on where Rx comes from."

depending on context, bx can be behavior or biopsy. I’ve never seen Ox personally, but it might mean oxygen, perhaps. Can you post the sentence that it is in?

I was told the x was just a quick substitution for the rest of the word. Rxn for reaction is a favorite of mine.

Oxygen itself would be O2 in most medical abbreviations, unless someone was talking about a measurement called a ‘pulse ox’, short for pulse oximetry, which is a way of measuring the oxygen level in the blood. The result of pulse ox testing would be called an O2 sat or a ‘sat’ (short for ‘saturation’)

That being said, it’s not unusual for a lot of folks in the medical field to use non-standard abbreviations. It’s not encouraged, but it happens fairly often.

In my experience Px is used exclusively to indicate the physical examination. Indeed, it almost invariably is used in tandem with Hx as in “Hx & Px”, i.e. history and physical.

Here’s another one with ‘x’:

DDx = differential diagnosis

And, at least where I work, Tx is used to denote a transfusion. YMMV.

It was a psych exam, so bx for behavior might make sense.
Sorry, can’t give an example of Ox. I think I saw it. But it was a long time ago, and I’m vague on that.

Just thought of something else. AAOX4 (or 3, 2 or 1)with various spacing miight be what you remember. It stand for Awake, alert, and oriented as to person place time and situation.These are usually lost in reverse order, i.e. people might know who they are and where thy are but not the date or what is going on. Just throwing out a possibility there.

Oxtail soup. Supposedly a cure-all.

Bx means “behavior” in the psychology field.

Px can also be used to abbreviate the word “psychology”.

And Zx is for zombie.

In behavioral health, Bx can stand for “behavior.”