Use of X in Medical Abbreviations (or Ux of X in Mx Ax)

Medical abbreviation are often formed by the initial letter followed by x, so Sx=symptoms, Tx=treatment, Hx=history, etc.

What is the origin of this? Did it originate in Latin, lice so many medical abbreviations and terms? It seems that S., T., and H., would be simpler and no less comprehensible (not that comprehensible matters for Mx Px [medical professionals]).

Why are you making a bx* tgx over thx?

Besides, S., T. and H. already stand for scurvy, tonsils and hives.

You can’t teach a croaker new tricks, at least when the old ones work fine.

*Bx actually is an abbreviation for biopsy.

Ax:
Bx: Biopsy
Cx: Culture (I’ve seen cervix abbreviated like this too)
Dx: Diagnosis
Ex: Example
Fx: Fracture
Gx:
Hx: History
Ix: Home of the mentats?
Jx:
Kx:
Lx:
Mx:
Nx:
Ox:
Px:
Qx: (means “OK” when used by lensmen)
Rx: prescription
Sx: symptom
Tx: Treatment
Ux:
Vx:
Wx:
Yx:
Zx:

No, I don’t know why these were picked.

I don’t think “X” is limited to medical abbrevs. An “X” can susbsitute for a multitude of letters where the understanding is not ambiguous in the intended target group.

For example, it is also used in amateur radio thusly:

[ul][]TX = transmit or transmitter[]WX = weatherDX = distance[/ul]

Px: physical

Also, Px: procedure

Ox: Oxygen, but I’ve more often seen that as O[sub]2[/sub]

I’ve seen Sx also used as abbreviation for surgery.

Lx: lymph nodes; lymphatic

Ask Jill

At Domino’s Pizza, most combination pizzas have two-letter abbreviations where the 2nd letter is “x”:

(Ax) - America’s Favorite: Pepperoni, Mushroom, and Sausage
(Bx) - Bacon Cheddar Cheeseburger: Bacon, Onion, Ground Beef, and Cheddar Cheese
(Dx) - Deluxe Feast: Pepperoni, Mushroom, Green Pepper, Onion, and Sausage
(Hx) - Hawaiian Feast: Ham, Pineapple, and Extra Cheese
(Mx) - Meatzza Feast: Pepperoni, Ham, Sausage, Ground Beef, and Extra Cheese
(Vx) - Vegi Feast: Mushrooms, Onions, Green Peppers, Black Olive, sometimes Diced Tomato (varies by store), and Extra Cheese; does not contain O-ethyl-S-[2(diisopropylamino)ethyl] methylphosphonothiolate (C[sub]11[/sub]H[sub]26[/sub]NO[sub]2[/sub]PS),also known as VX nerve agent.

That was the original one. It’s a Latin manuscript abbreviation, written as “R” with a cross-bar on the tail, for the word “Recipe”, meaning “Take” – as in “Take one pill three times per day” “Take one pound of flour, one cup of butter, etc.”

I think this was actually not originally “Rx” but the astrological symbol for Jupiter, which looks like a 2 with a bar across the horizontal stroke. This was a reference to Jupiter’s supposed healing powers in ancient astrology.

When I was at school, Mx stood for Mathematics.

There was another one too… may have been Px = Physics, but I’m not sure.

All these theories are discussed in the SDSAB co0lumn linked to up there a way :wink: ^^^^^

No, no…

A is for Appendectomy, B is for Barium… (audio in that link probably not workplace safe)

Px has always been Prognosis for me!

I have seen nurses use Px for problem.

Some of the X-style abbreviations have more than one meaning, it all depends on context. It drove me crazy my first semester in nursing school, because it was never explained. I’ve seen bx to mean biopsy, behavior or bilateral (that was only one time and may have just been that nurse’s idea of a great abbreviation.)

No; Ixians made machines.