"Internet Explorer has closed this webpage to help protect your computer"

I have been getting that error message over and over for the past ten days/two weeks, but only when I visit a particular website – lifehacker.com – which makes me think the problem is indeed something about their web page.

OTOH, I’ve read that site for years with no troubles, AND it’s a very busy site yet I haven’t seen anyone else complaining of a problem reading the site.

So… does it mean there’s a problem on this end? A virus or a corrupted copy of IE? But I’ve done several scans during this time (I use Microsoft Security Essentials) and nothing has turned up.

This is using IE version 9.0.8112.16421 on a HP running Windows 7 64 bit.
If I click for details I get this:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: iexplore.exe
Application Version: 9.0.8112.16421
Application Timestamp: 4d76255d
Fault Module Name: StackHash_a7aa
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Offset: 6783045f
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 00000008
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: a7aa
Additional Information 2: a7aa91f17ea749d42a4de3b390fa5b3d
Additional Information 3: a7aa
Additional Information 4: a7aa91f17ea749d42a4de3b390fa5b3d

==

I’ve looked at many of these reports and they’re the same except for “Application Timestamp” and “Exception Offset.”

So… can anyone tell me if the problem is my computer/software? Or should I just give up on that website?

Why would you think giving up the site is an option when there are at least two superior browsers to use?

Firefox 7.0.1 and Chrome 53.14* both open the site just fine.

As to the technical side of things, I honestly have no idea why you’re getting the errors you are, but it’s silly to give up on a site that you’ve read for years just because one web browser is giving you trouble now.

*The real version number is 19

I can open Lifehacker.com with either Firefox or IE without any warning messages. Perhaps you should try re-installing IE and/or going over your PC with a malware detector. It could be you picked up something nasty, i.e. a hijack virus or somesuch, that is trying to divert your browser away from that site, to another site you probably don’t want to go to, hence the warning.

<<sigh>> What can I say, I’m USED to IE. I’ve been using it since, well, since it existed. Well, maybe this is the universe forcing me out of my rut. <<heavier sigh>>

Lifehacker is working for me (IE8), but there’s a lot of “clicking” going on before it finishes loading making me believe there is a lot of stupid crap trying to load as well. On the other hand, I get messages like yours with Gamefront (and other people do as well) with IE but not FF, so different browsers play differently with various sites.