What did carpenters do in Jesus's day?

Just curious what sort of work they were involved with. Building houses? Thatching roofs? Did they only handle making post-and-beam supports or something? Or did they cart rocks, mix plaster, etc.?

In other words, was this a specialized/skilled trade, or just another word for “day laborer”?

Allow me to recommend David MacCauley’s picture books, specifically CATHEDRAL, PYRAMID, CITY, and CASTLE. Very informative and enjoyable.

Basically, everything the stonemasons did needed to be laid on top of a wooden frame created by the carpenters. The the carpenters came back and took the frame away. Must have been a fairly thankless existence.

Although I’m not an expert on the subject my understanding is that the word “carpenter” probably didn’t mean exactly what it means today. In other words, these people could build things out of wood (as opposed to stone masons) but were somewhat more gene.

I wouldn’t think of them as common day laborers since they were what we would consider skilled workers of their day.

They could probably build a house, or a cart, or an ark… whatever you needed built that was primarily made out of wood.

What’s harder for me to imagine is that 2000 years ago there must have been some source of wood in the Middle East… I’m just not sure from where.

They sang really sappy songs, of course…

Why do birds suddenly appear
Every time
You are near?
Just like me
They long to be
Close to you…

Oh, I’m terribly sorry. I thought the thread said “the Carpenters.”

Never mind.

Although I’m not an expert on the subject my understanding is that the word “carpenter” probably didn’t mean exactly what it means today. In other words, these people could build things out of wood (as opposed to stone masons) but were somewhat more gene.

I wouldn’t think of them as common day laborers since they were what we would consider skilled workers of their day.

They could probably build a house, or a cart, or an ark… whatever you needed built that was primarily made out of wood.

What’s harder for me to imagine is that 2000 years ago there must have been some source of wood in the Middle East… I’m just not sure from where.

The term “carpenter” in this context is a translation of the term “tekton” (can’t render Greek characters here). It is Strongs number 5045, and is found in two instances:

Matthew 13:55 “Is not this the carpenter’s son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas?” (KJV)

Mark 6:3 “Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.” (KJV)

Strongs gives this:

This is an excerpt of commentary by John Dominic Crossan, Professor Emeritus of Religious Studies, DePaul University:

Most commentators, including Matthew Henry and Jamieson, Fausset, and Brown, agree that the reference to Jesus as “carpenter” in both Mark and Matthew were intended as derision.

Why right over there … See der tree?

'course that could be just a pile of shittim.

Who do you think made all of those wooden crosses?

What, you’ve never heard of The Cedars of Lebanon?

If I remember correctly, it’s the opening scene in Scorsese’s Last temptation of Christ

And to quote Kinky Friedman:

We ain’t makin’ carpenters who know what nails are for!

For what it’s worth, there is evidence that the word “carpenter” was a metaphor (for what, I don’t know). Likewise, the apostles probably weren’t literally fishermen, but more like missionaries; their job was to “fish for souls” (convert people).

I suppose that 2000 years ago, real carpenters built stuff (duh). You know, furniture, houses, boats, barns, other buildings…

[highjack]

Ike, have you read Ken Follett’s The Pillars of the Earth ? Great novel about stonemasons and cathedral building based on Follett’s usual superb research.

[/highjack]

Time for Sunday School. :slight_smile: Back in Old Testament times, they were perfectly familiar with forests…

…and with the wild animals who lived there…

…and with the forest fires that sometimes destroyed them…

There was plenty of wood for carpenters…

…even if they were using their skills to make idols…

And especially for God as Carpenter, there was no shortage of wood…

Here endeth the Lesson. :slight_smile:

Here’s a big list of the flora of Palestine today (this is just a snip). Lots of Latin names. “Quercus” is oak. I’m assuming “pistacia” is pistachio. Acacia is mentioned in the big list. Carob trees, pine trees. “Maquis” is another name for what in L.A. is called “chaparral”.

http://www.mena.gov.ps/part3/biod.htm

Google. “deforestation Palestine”.

http://www.palestinecenter.org/news/20000314.html

2,000 years ago, there would have been even more forests. When you see Palestine on the evening news, you are looking at the deforested, settled areas. This is like looking at Los Angeles on the evening news and saying, “Gee, they don’t have any forests there.” Yes, they do, but you have to go find them, Peter Jennings isn’t going to show them to you.

And whadya think the Ark was made out of? :wink:

But Jesus wasn’t around in the Old Testament! :wink:

[sub]Am I the only one who calls DDG “Duck Duck Google”?[/sub]