Forgot to refrigerate Mirin for two days. Can use? Need answer fast

I used this mirin two days ago, then absentmindedly put it in the pantry instead of the fridge. Can I still use it?

It smells bad–but mirin always smells bad. Will a taste test suffice or should I throw it out?

Seems like you should be able to. Taste test should tell you.

I’ve never refrigerated mirin, and am evidently still alive. Take that as you will.

Cool, I used it and we are all still alive.

As is Helen Mirren, though she is still griping about spending two days in your pantry. But she liked the sake.

What the hell is mirin?
::Wanders off to Googleland::

Take a pirin tablet, and don’t worry about it. :wink:

I’d never heard of it either: Mirin - Wikipedia

Ignorance fought!

Isn’t it a type of wine? Why would you need to refrigerate it?

I never refrigerate it.

I don’t refrigerate soy sauce, either, for all that both mirin and soy sauce tell you to refrigerate after opening.

I don’t refrigerate it.

Me neither, on both counts.

ETA: anything with that high a hooch content is fine sitting out, esp. just for a couple of days.

Neither do I - nor fish sauce, oyster sauce or kepcap manis. I do refrigerate tomato sauce, mustard and jam, as well as maple syrup which I discovered goes mouldy if left in the cupboard.

Agreed, we leave it on the shelf.

It never occurred to me about putting it in the fridge. Does it say to refrigerate on the label? I must have missed it and I usually look for that. Well, several bottles and years later, I’m still around.

True mirin is indeed alcoholic (between 13% and 15%). However, much of the stuff sold as mirin is in fact non-alcoholic “mirin-style condiment”. Kikkoman’s Japanese site recommends keeping true (alcoholic) mirin at room temperature and fake mirin in the fridge. Sugars in true mirin may crystallise if kept in the fridge, while fake mirin will lose its flavour if not kept cold after opening.

Why the hell are you giving him drugs, what the hell are pirin tablets?

You’re obviously not eating enough pancakes. :smiley: