Who Opens For Who?

I average a couple concerts a month and have recently been thrown by who was the opening act at double-billed shows.

The first was a Joan Jett / Paul (Bad Co.) Rodgers bill. We arrived close to the starting time because we really weren’t very interested in seeing Rodgers. We raced through the gates in a panic when we heard “Bad Reputation” being played as we approached the venue. Maybe it’s my taste in music, but I was dumbfounded that Joan Jett and the Blackhearts were opening for somebody I had to look up on Wikipedia to figure out who he was.

The second was a show where Blondie opened for Devo. I love both bands and, in fact Devo put on a better show, but I really expected Blondie to be the headliner especially if you compare record sales and their broader fan base.

Were my expectations of who should open valid and has anybody else had this experience at other concerts?

I believe it was around Sept. 1980 at Rocklahoma!
A four band act: Sammy Hagar, Pat Benetar, Van Halen, Doobie Brothers (in that order).

I guess you could argue that Van Halen didn’t open for the Doobie Brothers; but the Doobie Brothers were billed as the top act; but in reality Van Halen was reason for the show.

Good Times.

Oh, and I didn’t answer your question. I’m 100% with you. I liked DEVO; but Blondie definitely has broader appeal I would think. Same with Joan Jett.

No way Paul Rogers, who played with Free, Bad Co, Queen, and The Firm w\ Jimmy Page, would open for Joan Jett. Joan is cool and all, and Bad Reputation is an awesome song, but Paul Rogers is a legend.

I agree with second. Blondie should have been the headliner. Unless you were in Ohio.

I thought you wanted to know who was opening for The Who this tour: otherwise shouldn’t it be who opens for whom?
(I know, I know.)

I have heard that Jerry Lee Lewis somehow got talked into opening for Elvis.
During his last song, he poured lighter fluid onto the piano and set it on fire.
:slight_smile:

I think the confusion on Joan Jett and Paul Rodgers is that Paul Rodgers made his name (so to speak) in bands that weren’t named after him. But yeah, I agree with Typo Negative that between Joan Jett and Paul Rodgers, he’s the senior figure. He’s not exactly known that well under his own name, so I guess it could go either way. But still, he’s Paul Rodgers.

That scene was in the Dennis Quade film. The dispute was with Chuck Berry. Maybe all of the Elvis impersonators were booked up when they shot that scene.

Thanks. My informant was obviously drinking. :slight_smile:

In the version I heard he was opening for Chuck Berry. Either way, the Killer denies it, although he admits he’d “like to have got away with it.”

In 1995 I went to see a benefit show featuring Iggy Pop, The Offspring, Rancid, and Woodpussy (who?). Common sense and the posters all made it seem like Iggy would be the headliner. Everyone was confused when Iggy came on after Rancid. After his encore, he told us to stick around for The Offspring. Probably a last minute timing/logistic issue, as everyone was expecting Iggy to be the final act of the night.

I once attended a show where the Alan Parsons Project opened for Yes. Now, Yes is a fine band and I suppose it was all right that they were the headliner, but APP was quite famous in the 70s and 80s (especially since Alan was known not just for his own band but for working with even more famous acts like The Beatles). So in my mind it was a toss-up.

“Cool Story, Bro” Department: The funny thing about that concert was that we had free tickets (I was a member of the APP fan club) and they had misprinted the start time of the show on them, so by the time we arrived, APP had already played and they were getting ready for Yes. We mentioned this with great disappointment to the ticket booth guy, who got in touch with the fan club rep (we were by no means the only disappointed fans–I think there were about 6 or 8 fan club members present), and the next thing we know Alan Parsons *himself *is coming out to apologize to the fan club folks who missed the show. He invited us all backstage, and we spent the entirety of Yes’s set hanging out backstage chatting with Alan, Ian, Stuart, and the rest of the band. So what started out as a disappointing evening ended up as an amazing and wonderful time being had by all. Since I’d seen the band perform several times previously, having to miss one half-hour opening set to spend two hours with the band was totally worth it. :smiley:

An “unsung hero”, so to speak? (Pun intended.) As I suspected my confusion was probably due to a gap in my interest level. I’m familiar with songs like “Feel Like Makin’ Love” and “All Right Now” but I previously couldn’t have named the band let alone the singer.

Sometimes a double bill is a double bill and not a headliner with an opening act. When Styx and REO Speedwagon toured together they went as equals. Currently Styx, REO and Journey are touring together, also as equals.
When Reba McEntire toured with Brooks and Dunn some years ago they took turns going first, and did If You See Her/Him as a bridge between their sets.

I’m guessing that in many cases it’s the opening band’s management that put together the tour and then cast about for an opening act. All the better if they manage to snag a particularly prominent one.

The Devo/Blondie tour was billed as the “Whip her to Shreds” tour so maybe they were taking turns opening.

Elton John and Billy Joel have toured together. I think they alternate going first, too, and also sing some duets.

When I saw them, Joel and John start out with duets – with Billy Joel singing “Your Song” and Elton John singing “Just the Way You Are.” Then Billy Joel left the stage for Elton, then came on later to do a solo set.

Juke Box Hero? His best known song, I believe, is “Bad Company.” He has had a LOT of hits. My fave: his cover of “Wang Dang Doodle” and “Tell Mama” from his Savoy Brown days. I’d say he’s much better known than Jett who has not had all that many hits.

The last 10 seconds of ‘My Brother Jake’ and all of ‘Feel Like making Love’ show his talent, and i’m not a big fan - it’s just he can knock the socks of that style.

MiM

How it works for bar shows is that one band (or their booker) sets up the show and then pulls other bands on as opening acts. I always figured that’s basically how it works on a larger level as well.

(In other words, what I think sqweels meant to say.)