A woman's tattoo bra she got to conceal her mastectomy scars

Interesting!

Asked mod to change “myomectomy” to “mastectomy”.

Clever of her. And quite the tattoo.

Boy, I sure do hate tattoos, especially on women. Now that she’s defiled her body like that, she’s repulsive. Women should never do anything that’s unattractive to me. Also, won’t she be sorry when it looks awful in 40 years?

Now that somebody’s mentioned the word “tattoo”, let’s have a 5-page long debate about how tattoos are horrible!
…Just thought I’d get that part over with. Seriously, it’s a really neat idea and a great-looking tattoo. I’d feel really pleased if I got a tattoo like that to cover up some large scars.

Turpentine, at first I was :mad::eek:, but then I read the rest and was :smiley: :p. I hope you’re the only one who makes those comments, even in jest.

It’s beautiful artwork and a handy solution for the woman who underwent the mastectomy. From what I understand of folks who get this, it helps them re-identify as “beautiful” and “feminine” after surgery.

It’s really well done. I like it, and would probably do something similar if it ever happens to me.

I love that piece. I think it’s my favorite scar-cover tattoo I’ve seen.

I like this one, over a scoliosis surgical correction, too.

I’m not a tattoo fan, but I think that’s cool. It’s certainly a tattoo that has much meaning to her, I am sure, not just a fashion fancy.

Mastectomy and immediate reconstruction are routinely done these days. Giuliana Rancic had a double Mastectomy and reconstruction. She’s back on E! and doing well.

If the other lady prefers a tat over breasts then thats great too. Whatever helps her get through cancer and forward in life.

Good article on immediate reconstruction.

You think that people who hate tattoos can’t tell the difference between a tattoo to cover a double-mastectomy scar and some cheesy college boy with tribal tatts on his biceps? Your scorn is pre-emptive and inaccurate (at least in my case).

That’s gorgeous. My theory is that sometimes tattoos help us reclaim our bodies after some trauma…not always the case, of course, but it makes sense in my own life and I can’t be the only one, I think. Anyway…that’s gorgeous. Good for her.

That is one of the most beautiful and badass tattoos I’ve ever seen.

Many women, for many reasons, choose not to have reconstruction. Some don’t like the idea that what they look like after mastectomy is something that needs to be ‘fixed’. Some feel that no matter how good it is, reconstruction will never give them real breasts back, and prefer their scars over a sub-optimal replacement. This woman has taken what is usually seen as a tragedy, and turned it into a canvas for art…amazing and gutsy.

It’s gorgeous!

You silly guy. You really had had me going there for a minute. :smiley:

Really nice looking tattoo, I particularly like the squirrel. Maybe this is obvious to medical and tatoo experts, but is it likely that it hurt like hell getting done? I know some people with regions of skin near surgical scars that are astonishingly painfully sensitive, even decades later.

It’s possible, but it’s also possible she’s got areas of numbness.

What Lucretia said. As to the wonderful lady that had this done? I agree that she’s a total badass and that tattoo is one if the most beautiful I’ve ever seen. I wonder who her artist is?

One hell of a tattoo - and you gotta admire this woman - she took a horrible situation and just said, “Fuck it!” and owned it! Kudos, lady - big time kudos!

Wonder if she could walk around topless with that tattoo on the beach or wherever…without getting arrested.

I rather like this one. :smiley:

That’s awesome!