I have raspberries, butter, and lemon and I need to make some sort of dish...

I can try to combine them all or maybe do a couple of dishes. Most people will be making a dessert of some type, I want to try something savory. However, other than lemon with fish or chicken, I’m blanking on what I can make.

I could do some kind of salad with raspberry vinaigrette. I would try to raspberry souffle, but its hard to make that for a dozen or more people.

Any ideas?

Would muffins be too boring?

How about raspberry mashed potatoes, with fresh lemon squirted on at serving?

Duck! With a raspberry gastric.

Raspberry juice is very tart, which works like a vinegar but even more so with the lemon juice and zest. So you could substitute it for balsamic in most recipes. Mix the juices with a bit of sugar and a pinch of salt then reduce to a syrup.

Ham and pork also play well if you think fruit salsa or pineapple glaze, but instead raspberry. Spice it up with some habaneros.

Ceviche would also work.

Muffins would be fine, except most people will probably be making desserts so I want to try something different. Plus I’ve never baked a muffin in my life. I’ve never heard of raspberries in mashed potatoes though, intriguing…

Duck is a good idea, might be tough though. I’ll have to do some experimenting. Thanks for the ideas, any more?

I was going to suggest turkey with a raspberry compote, but I wasn’t sure if putting some butter on the turkey before cooking counted as using the butter.

Oatmeal?

Pancakes!

I wanted to suggest that. Use raspberries instead of cranberries. No reason not to use butter and lemon in the sauce. But it might be better in a lemon risotto.

Poach lobster in the butter with lemon zest. Use the raspberry and lemon juice to make a dipping sauce.

I like the risotto idea.

Are they black or red raspberries? Red raspberries taste like bedbugs smell (according to my great grandfather).

I’ve never heard of a lemon risotto, this bears looking into. Plus its easy to make a bunch for a group of people. Thought about the lobster idea too. I might just do that to win them over with expensive stuff.

It counts! As long as its in there somewhere. I hope to cook with it, but at this point I’ll try anything. And somebody else is already doing pancakes, damn him!

Any raspberries will do! We’re not a group of chefs, we’re mostly random people pulled unceremoniously off the street :smiley:

How about making a compound butter with some of the raspberries and the lemon zest, and then using more raspberries to make a slightly sweet glaze for a pan seared and roasted pork loin?

They could also be used to make a sweet and sour sauce, then dip what ever you feel like dipping, maybe grab some McNuggets?

And there is a Persian dish called Fesenjan that is usually made with pomegranate syrup but you could use reduced raspberry juice instead. Serve it with some Moroccan style preserved lemons.

Moroccan…Moroccan… You could do couscous with raspberries, as part of the answer.

If all else fails make some lemon and raspberry scruffins, people go crazy for those things.

Well, I’ve settled for trying to score a home run, I’m gonna try some type of confit. I’ve never done any of this before so I’ll be winging all of this. Here’s my plan:

The event is on Saturday so I don’t have much time. I already have some butter, bought raspberries and lemons, and have some thin sliced chicken breasts. I’m using chicken as a test because I probably need to look for duck at a different market and didn’t have time. Plus, if I can’t find it, I’ll just go with chicken.

I’ll use some butter and slow cook the chicken tonight. I haven’t decided if I’m going to do it slowly in the oven or just use low heat in a pot. After cooking the chicken, I’ll take that out and try it. If its good, then step two. Next I’ll add some lemon to the butter and then refrigerate it so I get some type of lemon butter. Might add cheese to it too. I’m planning on doing a lemon butter spread with some paprika on top. I had a cheesy butter with paprika just last week at a restaurant, so I know it tastes good.

Lastly, I’ve watched enough Food Network to know how to make a raspberry reduction. Some mashed raspberries and sugar in a hot pot and boil off the water. I see those chefs use some type of wine all the time, but I don’t have that so I’m just going with the raspberries. I can add a bit of water if its too sugary or too tart, and I’m also thinking that a bit of spice with some ginger would be good, but personally I hate ginger so that’s a last recourse.

If everything turns out fine, I’ll set the raspberry sauce on the plate, chicken or duck on top, and a bit of the lemon butter on the chicken/duck.

Also, I have contingency plans. If the lemon butter doesn’t turn out well, I can make a lemon custard, or cook a chicken breast normally and use some of the fat and butter and some lemon in a mashed potato side dish. I’m sticking with the raspberries though because I have no other idea how I can integrate that into this dish.

So, sound good? Is it impossible? I’ve never cooked confit before nor made any kind of flavored butter, but I have done a pineapple glaze so I can do the raspberry sauce easily. Will this be doable? And more important, will it taste good?

My 2cents:
Duck confit with a raspberry reduction is perfect, I like the idea of adding things like ginger and spice to the sauce. But duck confit isn’t the same thing as slow cooked chicken.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/duck-confit-recipe2/index.html

Not sure it needs the lemon butter though.

If it’s meant as an appetizer portion, what about making small lemon biscuits (essentially crackers) to serve the duck on? Something to help cut the richness of the duck and sweetness of the sauce.

I agree that it’s not technically a confit. But I still like the direction you’re going.
I always add citrus to my cranberry sauce…so you can easily incorporate some lemon with the raspberry for a little extra brightness. The flavor won’t obviously be lemon, but it will be there and it adds a layer of complexity.

I’d still use it in the butter.

The only part I’m not clear on…you’re actually going to butter the chicken/duck? I don’t think I’ve ever seen that. Is that a thing?

If you slow cook the duck/chicken, you can make it pulled or shredded duck/chicken. Then it will sit nicely on said crackers, with a copping of the raspberry sauce.

Or slice it and serve almost like a bruschetta.

If it’s not it should be.

Point taken. I should try it.