The Walking Dead; 3.10 "Home" (open spoilers)

Glen & Maggie are back home, the Governor’s planning something, the Dixons are gone, and Rick’s having visions of a useless dead woman. Hopefully my power will stay on.

So, with all the problems people had with their cable showing Anaconda, I do wonder if the Walking Dead would be more entertaining with a big giant snake.

Did any one else notice the governor’s injured eye switched?

This was a pretty boring episode; right up until Axel got shot. I wasn’t expecting that. I mean I knew the Governor would pull some kind of assual on the prison; I just didn’t expect it so soon. I hope Tyreese isn’t gone for good. Maybe they’ll show up at Woodbury. And Michonne actually spoke words and communicated with the group in a normal manner. :eek:

They should make it a running gag like the location of Igor’s (pronounced Eye-gore) hump in Young Frankenstein…

I knew (and maybe even posted here) as soon as Daryl and Merle came across some sort of moral quandary, he would snap out of being a kid again and re-realize his brother was garbage and head back.

I think Rick’s breakdown is over. Loved seeing Darryl standing up to Merle after rescuing that family!
Poor Axel… I thought we might get to see a love triangle but not one as teeth grating as Rick/Lori/Shane.

I was starting to like Axel, but in what I assume was a fairly useless life, he finally found his calling - shield. He was about the only target they could hit.

I was bored to tears until Axel got hit. I was regretting not having watched “Downton Abbey” instead.

Great episode.

They seem to be addressing many of the problems with the show:

Michonne is actually using her words. Finally.

The group is back together. I was worried we’d have several episodes of Daryl and Merle wandering before they brought them back.

They addressed the issues between Glen & Maggie well. Glen straight out asked her if she was raped and she told him what happened. This avoids the scenarios of “why don’t people talk to each other” that we see so often with shows with lazy writing.

I liked the shootout a lot. First shots resulted in a kill and then everyone dropped down and was pinned down. Much more realistic than most of the shooting we’ve seen in the show so far. They did a good job of giving a sense of perspective by showing how far away the shooters were from each other.

So the prison has openings somewhere on the back side with walkers coming in. These walkers have filled up the “tombs” of the prison, leaving only the couple (few?) cell blocks secure that are occupied. The outer yard which is protected by double chain link fences is also now overrun by walkers since both gates were smashed by the truck.

So the group only has a couple cell blocks plus a small inner yard that is secure. I wonder if they’ll try and re-clear out the prison? Or somehow fix the fences?

Also, whatever happened to the group of four that wanted to join up? I guess they ran off when Rick lost it, but I suspect they will be back.

I’ve been waiting and waiting for them to reveal Axel is actually a rapist. Guess that isn’t happening.

Related to Axel’s death - So they can make a head shot from hundreds of yards away but once they make that shot it turns into an episode of the A-Team where no one actually hits anything?

Someone tell The Governor to switch his shooting hand cause you know… your right eye is gone! This drives me nuts, The Governor running around shooting right handed and shooting everything in sight (ha!) with only his left eye.

Not liking the Lady in White (Lori), hope that is truly over. I preferred the recurring element of the telephone in the comic.

Surprised how much I liked Glenn over the last few episodes and the change in the character and how quickly my opinion changed in this one episode. Glenn is just an angry little bitch. Although I really don’t understand why Maggie is angry at him.

Maggie has had several episodes of being angered by Glenn from the very start. He’s the only game in town for her, so it must be doubly distressing to go off on him when things don’t, according to her, go right.

I watched Meryl and Darryl wandering around in the hot, buggy woods looking for a squirrel to shoot and thought, OK, that isn’t working out, one or both are going back to the prison a whole lot sooner than expected.

There are a lot of possibilities here. Lots of people are right handed but left eye dominant. If this is detected early, the usual advice is to shoot left handed. But lots of people end up shooting right handed, but with their left eye aiming. This obviously won’t work with a scoped rifle, but it would work with a handgun or anything else.

Plus, the governor didn’t snipe during the shootout that I can recall. He had a sniper back at his truck firing aimed shots. He was just laying down grazing fire. He was having a great time just spraying fully automatic fire to keep everyone’s heads down. I don’t think he was actually trying to hit anyone specifically.

Personally, I thought it would be a better strategy for our heroes to just load up the courtyard with walkers and make sure the doors are reinforced. While the walkers are your enemy, they’re also the Governor’s enemy. If he is going to attack, I would want the walkers in between him and our door so he’d have to fight his way there. By the time he got there, he might be more fatigued and he’d certainly have less ammo. In a best case scenario (for our prisoner folk), he may have even lost a fighter or two. The walkers are a pain in the ass, might as well try to use them to your advantage here and there.

Hump?
What hump?

Loved it - I thought it was going well and the shootout at the end put it over the top for me. Michonne is still a bad ass - Glen is stepping up - Daryl has grown up since he last saw Merle - and I was shocked that Axel was killed.

Can’t wait for next week!

I thought the absence of the new group of four in this episode was awkward. They addressed this on “Talking Dead”. Kirkman said that they had left the prison but where they were now was an unknown. To me this says that they didn’t want to spend the money on the four actors to shoot a short scene of them leaving. But not doing so made me wonder about why they didn’t rally with everyone else during the shootout. We shouldn’t have to wait for clarification of important story points on “Talking”.

Also, filing cabinets would make very poor cover from automatic weapons fire, wouldn’t they?

Hey, great idea!

A dead body on the other hand…:dubious: