George Takei... Am I missing something here?

What is the big deal about George Takei? 3.5 million “likes” on Facebook and people quoting him all the time. Why? He’s just that bloke from Star Trek, isn’t he? Why do YOU like George Takei?

He’s that bloke from Star Trek and he actively posts really funny stuff on facebook that lots of people like and share.

He’s witty and personable. What’s not to like? Also, I’m gay and George is a great spokesman on gay issues.

Oh my!

I have a FB and RL friend who has taken to sharing Takei’s FB posts occasionally (once a week or so). From what I can tell it’s simply that (IMHO) Takei’s posts are often funny and/or informative and/or thought-provoking. If we apply Sturgeon’s Law (that 90% of everything is crap) to Facebook posts, and probably update it to 99.5%, I consider Mr Takei’s account to be squarely in the 0.5%.
(not that I’ve actually got round to 'like’ing him yet)

He posts funny stuff, and sometimes relevant stuff to gay rights issues.

I’m sure there’s loads of other people who do the same, but for whatever reason his page is the one that went viral, basically.

He’s a 75 year old dude who remains cutting edge.

He wrote a book about his experiences on Facebook. In it (and I highly recommend it), he expresses his own astonishment that he can get so many fans to follow him, listen to him, share things he says, etc.

I don’t have time to find/link the video/news reports, but Google his name and “Its OK to be Takei”. A beautiful statement as far as I am concerned. My 'tween daughter is ‘coming out’ (with my full support) and she holds him as a hero of sorts.

I follow him, fwiw. A great man, even without the Star Trek connection.

Moved from General Questions to IMHO.

samclem

This. He did some videos that really hit a point regarding gay rights. Some places are trying to ban the word “gay” from schools (okay, Tennessee mainly), and he offered his name as a substitute (The second half of his name rhymes with gay), saying “It’s okay to say Takei.” The videos IIRC, were well spoken, logical, and really had a strong message. I couldn’t care less about Star Trek, but I like George. I think this gave him the status of cool, wise, elder.

Then, I like George. I just didn’t get around to following him and wondered what the fuss and buzz was all about.

99% of what he posts on Facebook is reposting stuff others send him. But he has a good sense of humor and a lot of it is funny. I have often seen things that have become widespread memes first on his page. And he seems like a really nice guy. And Star Trek.

All of this plus the fact that he stays actively involved. He doesn’t just share whatever comes his way – he filters for what is funny or thought-provoking and adds his own often pithy comments. He’s just one cool dude.

1.)George Takei has a LOT of exposure. He began doing vboioce-over work back in the 1950s (His voice shows up on the english language dubs of some kaiju films from the 1950s). He’s in episodes of Twilight Zone and other series even before Star Trek.

2.) He was Hikaru Sulu in the original Star Trek and in the subsequent movies. At first it looks as if they wanted to make him a biologist or something (in the second pilot he’s fussing with plants), but I guess they realized that, if that were the case, we’d never see him, and (as the visible asian-ancestry cast member) that would never do. So he became a navigator. He was young and got to do nifty things like fencing with his short off, so he was highly visible and relatable, not just a random crew member. So he was “prime crew”, and showed up in the movies as well.

3.) He parlayed the fan affection by writing. He co-wrote a book with Robert Lynn Asprin (Mirror Friend/Mirror Foe about a futuristic ninja that shows hiom on the cover bare-chested with a sword, like in that Star Trek The Naked Time episode. He wrote issues of the Star Trek comics.*

4.) He continued his voice work. Partyly because of his experience, and partly for his familiarity, he became in demand. As Pepper Mill has noted, he became the “go to” guy for asian voices. He’s done a lot of episodes of The Simpsons, both in and out of character. He was the elder i n Disney’s Mulan. And other things.

5.) Now that he’s older and an ico n of the old Star Trek series, he appears on things like Big Bang Theory and talk shows. He’s riding the Adam Westian nosdtalgia wave.

6.) Now that he’s come out (at a time when it’s trendy) he’s a visible and notable gay figure and quasi-spokesman.
So why not? He’s worked at keeping his name in the spotlight and desrves it. Having reached more than minimum critical publicity mass, he’s recognizable to people who may never have seen 9or cared about) Star Trek, and it snowballs from there.

He did an amazing interview with Penn Gillette on Penn’s podcast. It was a 90 minute interview and they talked about Star Trek for maybe 20 seconds. He mostly talked about how he was rounded up and sent to a concentration camp when he was five, and about being gay in Hollywood in the 60s. I highly recommend everyone to download that podcast.

Just to be clear, it’s not Tennessee, it’s a few right wing-nut legislators. The “don’t say gay” bill hasn’t passed and probably never will in the statehouse.

On topic: George Takei is awesome.

The recently revived bill has been modified to be even more evil than it was before. The new provision in the bill states that teachers are required to tell parents if a student confides that she or he is gay.

Takei also gained some notoriety/popularity being on Howard Stern’s show. That’s where (IIRC) ‘oh my’ became his catchphrase.

I ended up unliking him eventually because, while I like his political agenda and support it, most of the things he posts are just stupid memes and crap puns reposted from elsewhere on the internet.

I forgot to mention – Takei ran for office out in LA. I believe he served on the Transportation Board, or something, which probably raised people’s awareness of him.

I’m not saying that’s the reason he did it – a lot of entertainment folk run for office, and I’m sure they’re motivated by the same things that motivate anyone doing this, including a desire to achieve a lasting impact. Their high visibility gives them a potential leg up through voter recognition.