Wilmette woman wins way into 'Jeopardy! record books.

Wilmette woman wins way into ‘Jeopardy!’ record books. Isn’t this the same town and high school that that little shit Rahm Emanuel lived/went to?

Wilmette is quite a lovely town. Quite expensive to move to unless you want to live in the far west of Wilmette. Well done on winning twelve games in a row.

Fact that Emmanuel went to New Trier and lived in Wilmette isn’t relevant to well, anything.

Hm, her mother and grandmother live in Kenilworth. That means she comes from serious money :slight_smile: That $261K is pocket change.

Not necessarily so. The are many wealthy people in Kenilworth but not everyone there is rich. Could be that her grandmother bought the house decades ago and has lived there since. Be careful of jumping to conclusions on the demographics of the North Shore.

The only people that think not everyone in Kenilworth is rich are people in Kenilworth, pointing out they’ve only got a Jag while their neighbor has a Bentley.

Jag’s and Bentley’s? Who drives those pieces of sh… Oh right, people in Kenilworth. Got it.

Maybe I’ll run into her at Homer’s!

Yea not so much. As I said, a lot of money in the North Shore but also a lot of people who live there because they family bought there back in the day. A fair amount of run-down houses up there. Granted, lot of tear downs and newer families coming in with decent money (the working rich or the working well-off) but not that many Vanderbilt-lite types up there.

So… inherited wealth. Yeah, not every house in Kenilworth is a mansion but a run-down shack in Kenilworth is worth as much as a mansion most places, no matter how you came by it. But I’ve seen a lot of that attitude on the North Shore. “Oh, we’re not rich, we just happen to own a lot of really valuable stuff.”

A mansion where? Rural Nebraska? Kenilworth is a tiny community of maybe 2,509 people. There are places there that can be bought for less than a million. Not many but they are there. And you sound a little bitter over other people’s inheritance.

I actually would have thought Wilmette is the more upscale place, but census data seems to indicate that Kenilworth is. Look, I live near Midway in a $150K house, but Wilmette and Kenilworth are North Shore light to me. It gets a lot fancier as you go north towards Winnetka and Glencoe. To me, that’s where the real money is.

For those of us who live in most of the rest of the country, in places where million-dollar houses are few and far between, this is really not an argument that Kenilworth is just some ordinary town.

Kenilworth is the richest community in the Midwest and IIRC a couple of years ago was rated as second richest community in the US. So I don’t think Winnetka and Glencoe are fancier.

That’s mostly because Kenilworth is very small so the numbers can be a bit skewed. Winnetka is really seen as the “best” suburb to live in in the north shore. Wilmette is a great suburb but it is a lot bigger than either Winnetka or a Kenilworth and has a broader socio-economic group (relatively).

My nit with people who assume that just because someone live in one of these suburbs doesn’t make them so rich that they would scoff at 250k. Most people in the area work in white collar jobs buy they’re not landed gentry or from family money.

At the end of the day though, it’s not where you live but how you live.

Huh. Color me surprised. This article has Glencoe at #6 and Winnetka at #7. It must be population skewing it, because when I lived up north in Evanston, it seemed like Winnetka was the place really talked about in terms of wealthy communities. All I really knew about Kenilworth was that it had a culinary school there. Maybe it just flew under the radar. IME, it’s not a suburb that comes up right away (if at all) when people are thinking of stereotypical rich North Shore suburbs.

Actually, looking at the data, I’m going to have to concede that you are correct. I guess it’s just been a blip on my radar because of its size, but it does seem that Kenilworth is one of the wealthiest communities in the US. I’m guessing it misses that report I linked to because of its size.

FWIW, when I was living in Chicago I always thought of Kenilworth and Winnetka as about even in the wealth department, and ahead of just about everything else.

Glencoe has certainly accelerated in status but it’s still deemed to below Winnetka. Nest way to compare is to look at the real estate of each area and what say a million gets in each neighbourhood.

Someone had to occupy that low, flat area of the bell curve. That explicitly qualifies him as a Machine Party candidate extraordinaire.

…Still don’t have jack shit to do with each other.
What is this thread about, anyway?
I hear that Trebek (sp?) isn’t a fan of the ladies.
:smack: