North Side grocery co-op?

So it looks like there’s at least a semi-serious movement to get a grocery co-opup and running on the North Side. I like the concept, but am not sure about the whole getting in on the ground floor thing. I’ve always wondered why Chicago has only the Hyde Park co-op, and generally very little in the way of natural foods stores other than Whole Foods.

I’d love to see Whole Foods get some competition! Do you think this has a chance? Looks like they need another bunch of founding owners.

Actually, the Hyde Park Co-Op died around 2008, right before I moved away from Chicago. Their main store on Lake Park Ave. was then taken over by Treasure Island. (They had two other stores at one point, but those closed down around '04 or '05.)

I suppose this just proves your point about the lack of cooperatives in the city, though.

While not actually in the city, Oak Park should be opening it’s co-op early next year.

As for why they don’t catch on more I really can’t say. I suspect high prices and limited selection contribute.
Perhaps when OP opens theirs a few visits may solve the mystery.

Dill Pickle Co-op on Fullerton just west of Milwaukee.

Think a co-op on the North Side east of Ashland/Clybourn would be tough financially, as rents for market-sized buildings are really expensive and given the number of deep-pocketed competitors (Trader Joes, Whole Foods, Jewel, etc) and need for nearly mutually exclusive things (customer parking and CTA access).

Holy cow, I had no idea. As you can tell, I’m not in Hyde Park much.

The city has got to be able to support a co-op or two, right? The Twin Cities, with a smaller population, have a bunch of them. Prices are higher than standard groceries, but mostly nowhere near Whole Foods. I’m mostly concerned with fresh produce. I have been loving the farmer’s market in Daley Plaza, but it will close for the season soon. We’ve tried the CSA model with a couple of CSAs, but it just doesn’t work very well for us.

Why would it have to be east of Ashland? I think in the right spot it could do really well - the new north and northwest side Mariano’s locations (which have parking lots) always seem to be packed, and it wouldn’t need to be that big.

I don’t know if it is a coop or not, but there is a Mrs. Green’s Natural Market open in Lincoln Park, and plans for other Chicago locations in the works. It is primarily organic and local produce, and seems like a clear competitor to Whole Paycheck, err, ah, I mean Whole Foods.

Ooh, that’s really cool----

checks address

Crap. Parking?

They have a garage. I think it is free if you spend over some minimum amount. Given their prices, that shouldn’t be much of a problem!