"save as" dialog box looks weird; how to turn it back?

my friend is using Word 2013 and when he goes to save a document, he gets this crazy looking “Save as” dialog box. Any ideas what this is and how to restore it to the usual “save as” dialog box? http://www.mediafire.com/view/e20hdt99w54z6zy/Untitled.png

I don’t know the answer but that looks really bizarre and is not even close to what the Word 2013 Save As page looks like.

That’s what I thot too. I’ve never seen anything like it.

When I open my Save As dialog box and click the Hide Folders button (lower left), I see a display similar to your screen capture. The main difference is that the Hide Folders button has become a Browse Folders button.

So have your friend click the Hide Folders button to see what happens. Maybe close and reopen Word after that to see if it resets it.

The Repair an Office application feature may be worth a try.

I think what happened is, he dragged the edge of the metadata panel all the way up, obscuring the filesystem tree box. So right underneath where it says “Organize | New Folder” and right above the “File Name:” box, he should be able to drag that back down.

Are you using Word 2013? I don’t see a Hide Folders button on the lower left when I click Save As.

I actually have Word 2010. But you can see the Hide Folders button in the lower left of cornopean’s screen cap.

I clicked the Hide folders button to no avail. and he is using Word 2013.

We also tried resizing the window and none of that seems to help. I’ll try again tho in light of what was said above.

I agree with this explanation. When I do it in my Save As, I see all of the file properties and none of the folders. It’s just a matter of positioning the cursor in the right spot to drag down the divider between the two areas.

I clicked the Hide folders button to no avail. and he is using Word 2013.

We also tried resizing the window and none of that seems to help. I’ll try again tho in light of what was said above.

It’s not the whole window you need to resize, it’s the panels that it’s made up of.

Here’s a pic where I have replicated the problem: http://imgur.com/4oedFv7

Here’s a pic where I’ve started to drag down the part I’m talking about: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

OK, I found the screen you are talking about. I just didn’t realize you were talking about the screen you get after you choose the location from the first screen.

And arseNal is right. I just did the same thing with mine and got the same result.