The name "Graham": How do you pronounce it?

I caught the preceding link from Yahoo.com, and it got me to recollecting my HS girlfriend, whose last name was Graham. When I was in HS, some friend of mine asked me who the babe was that I had been speaking to moments earlier. I saic “XXX Gra-ham.” (Gray-yum). Not so totally distinctive, but, it was 2 syllables. My friend said "You mean “Gram”. I said, “FU, her name is Gray-yum”. Later, I asked her. She, being under my love spell, said “It doesn’t matter. However you want.” Thanks, slut. Didn’t help a bit.
So, how do you pronounce the name “Graham”? How have you heard it pronounced?
I can think of Billy Graham, and I think he uses the 2 syllable method, but, other than my gf and him, I can’t recall knowing anybody with that last name.

Thanks,
hh

Two syllables but more like gray-em, or gray-im, I guess would be closer.

Graeme is pronounced the same way.

Gray-em. It’s my dad’s name, but spelt “Graeme”. He loves voice chatting with Americans as they try to figure out how to pronounce it. “Gremmie?”.

Because of a family when I was growing up insisting on it being that way ---- gray-ham.

Gram. Like the cracker.

Yep. I’ve only heard people from overseas pronounce it any other way.

That’s exactly what I tell people when they ask my son’s name. :slight_smile:

Ditto

Gray’m (two syllables)

Jeez man, it’s lucky you’re handsome!

I have a brother by that name, and he tends to prefer the GRAYhm, nearly two syllable pronunciation. IIRC that preference originated with his desire to avoid being called Graham Cracker, the bane of his early childhood existence.

This.
I mean if she wants to say, "Oh thats a common mistake. Our family actually pronounces it “Gra-hooty-nob-pull-zoinkensteen” that’s on her.

Paging Tony Dors*-ett*, Tony Dors*-ett* to name pretension…

Except those of us who pronounce it as gray-em also pronounce the cracker the same way: gray-em, gray-im, gray’m.

Gray-em. I’ve never heard of the “gram” pronunciation.

Midwesterner here. I say “gram” like the unit of mass.

My son is Graham, pronounced gram. As was the sir name of his Scottish ancestors.

I am already teaching him to pick up women in bars by saying he is the heir to the cracker fortune.

His Scottish ancestors would have pronounced it with two syllables.

Another vote for Gram.

Silent “H”
Like the cracker.

18 posts already and no one who pronounces it “throatwarbler mangrove”?

Crackers aside (and I, an American, say “Gray-em crackers”), my observation is that in general, Americans tend to say “Gray-em” and Brits “Gram.” I know a Kiwi named “Graham,” and he definitely says the latter.