Did you see the new song?

I was watching MTV the other day with closed captions and noticed that a few of the songs had closed captioning.
So, do deaf people watch MTV? Since the captioning isn’t there for most of the songs, I would assume not… but then why do some artists have their songs captioned anyway?

“[He] beat his fist down upon the table and hurt his hand and became so
further enraged… that he beat his fist down upon the table even harder and
hurt his hand some more.” – Joseph Heller’s Catch-22

This probably isn’t the only reason, but it helps with understanding the lyrics. That and Vh1 has more than videos (Behind the Music and such) that have closed captioning.

Of course dear, deaf people watch MTV.

Being deaf doesn’t mean you don’t enjoy music it means more you don’t enjoy music the way hearing people do.

I must file this question along with some of the others people told little deaf me, such as, ‘can deaf people have sex?’ & ‘can deaf people read?’

I think you misunderstood my question. What I was trying to get answer was, why aren’t all the songs, etc. closed captioned? It seems a little ludicrous to put it on some songs and not others.

Forgive, me, Handy. I don’t doubt for a minute that you are required innumerable times to suffer foolish questions. But since most of us hearing folks experience music almost entirely with our sense of hearing, I don’t think the question is on par with the stupidity of asking whether or not deaf people can read or have sex.

The first time I went strolling through the campus of Gallaudet University, I expected it to be pin-drop quiet. Quite the contrary, music could be heard booming out of a few windows (dorms, I think). Also, the library was not as quiet as you might expect. This was quite some time ago, and since then it has become clear to me that deaf people do indeed enjoy music on a different level than the hearing.

I frequently see groups of people signing at local dance clubs, where the music is so loud you can feel it pounding inside your chest. One of my best (deaf) friends sometimes rides in my car and rests her hand on my dash board speaker, bounces her head in time with the beat, and (if it’s a Madonna song) can almost always tell me what song it is.

With regard to the OP, captioning is strictly up to the producer, and depending on what rights are given to the network, captioning may be added at a later date. The Wizard Of Oz now airs with closed captioning, but that certainly wasn’t done in 1939 when the film was made. Now for more than you even wanted to know about captioning:

Captions usually appear as one or more lines of print inside a small window near the bottom of a TV screen, transliterating spoken words, sound effects, and music typed as words and symbols. Captions may be produced live, or added during post-production.

Post-production captioning is done off-line on a caption station; a dedicated personal computer with specialized software. This is different from real-time captioning, which is used primarily for live broadcasts.

Off-line captions can be recorded open or closed. Open captions can be seen at all times and cannot be hidden. A decoder is not needed. Closed captions can be turned off or on as preferred, but must be viewed through a decoder. All television sets with 13 inch or larger screens that were manufactured in or after 1993 are required to have built in decoder.

Closed captioning is also good for children who are learning to read. They can follow along with what is being said.

-Melin

I’m a woman phenomenally
Phenomenal woman
That’s me
(Maya Angelou)

>>I must file this question along with some of the others people told little deaf me, such as, ‘can deaf people have sex?’ & ‘can deaf people read?’<< --Handy

Don’t forget my favorite:
“Can Deaf people drive?”
::sigh:: “Yes, of course they can.”
“Oh. Can they park in the handicapped parking spaces?”

Who the artist is has something to do with whether or not the video is captioned, since it has everything to do with whether a performance is interpreted.

–Rowan

If my mother had been in charge of the War on Drugs,
             it would be "Just say 'No thank you.'"

Krish–Maybe you were watching the program “Say What?” In this programs, videos are shown with the lyrics running across the bottom of the screen, to the enjoyment of both the hearing and the non-hearing. It’s so you can learn the lyrics.

Thanks, guy… that was exactly the program about which I was thinking. I think the program is a karaoke one, so the deaf are better off not hearing the people try to sing. :wink:
I would assume most producers would want their songs to be projected to the masses, the hearing and non-hearing, so why wouldn’t they closed caption all of their music? I wouldn’t expect the costs to be very high.

Considering this year’s music, I’m surprised hearing people would watch MTV ):

Alright then. The most probable reason not all song are captioned is because 1. captioning is expensive 2. They might be captioned but the station did not turn the captions on [maybe they don’t want to obscure the tits?] 3. The artist/manager/producer of the song/video hasn’t a clue.

Captioning costs vary. Around $1000-2000 per hour. Around $300 for ten minutes, etc.

You can do it on your home PC with the right equipment.

That’s the part I don’t understand. If, with the right equipment, it could be done on a home PC, I don’t know if it would actually be that expensive.