Memento - Oscar/Golden Globe Chances?

Having seen this gem of a movie back in April (May?) and waiting anxiously for the DVD release so I can purchase a copy (along with reading the past threads in other foums regarding the movie), I got to thinking whether it has any chance to earn any nominations or win any awards this year (Golden Globes, Oscars).

Frankly, it’s been one of the best movies I’ve seen over the last two-three years and at the very least should garner a best actor nomination for Guy Pierce (and possibly one for either original screenplay or direction).

Of course, it probaby won’t get that much attention since it was released early in the movie-going year (and Hollywood tends to focus on those movies released near the end of the year). Just wanted to get other dopers impression of the movie and whether it’s worthy of any awards.

If anything, it might get a nod for best screenplay. It’s always the way (at the Oscars, anyway) – the big blockbuster gets the statue for Best Picture, and the “more arty” film gets the Screenplay award … witness:

Oh poop …

The only example I can think of right off the top of my head is:
Forrest Gump - Best Picture
Pulp Fiction - Best screenplay

But I’m sure if I bother to do a little research I can give you some equally valid examples.

According to its page at the IMDB (found here), the movie was actually released in 2000. So if it was going to get any nominations, it would have done do this year. Sorry.

I haven’t seen it yet, but I am anxiously awaiting its arrival at the video store so I can finally see what everyone is talking about.

Well that’s odd…cause i remember it started showing nation wide in late may.

Memento was released overseas in 2000, but in the US in 2001. It is eleigible for the next Oscars. BTW, there was an article in the LA Times that gave the early odds on Best Picture for next year’s Oscars based on industry talk. I don’t have the link with me unfortunately, but I recall Memento being somewhat of a medium to long shot.

I agree, however, that it is the best movie I have seen this year and will probably get a Best Adapted Screenplay nomination for Christopher Nolan. Less likely but possible (IMO) would be Christopher Nolan also for Director, Guy Pearce for Best Actor, and also Editing

A few more examples of my theory:

Gladiator - Best Picture
Traffic, Almost Famous - Best Adapted, Original Screenplays.

Titanic - Best Picture.
Good Will Hunting, LA Confidential - Best Original, Adapted Screenplays.

The English Patient - Best Picture.
Fargo, Slingblade - Best Original, Adapted Screenplays.

Braveheart - Best Picture.
The Usual Suspects - Best Original Screenplay.

at least based upon teh competition so far. I thought Guy Pierce also did an outstanding job in the lead.

I think you’re dead on, Jack Batty. The screenplay awards have become the Oscar consolation prizes for good movies that the Academy doesn’t have the balls to nominate for anything else.

So, I’d say an Adapted Screenplay nomination is possible. I think there’s also an outside chance for Carrie-Anne Moss for Supporting Actress.

The Oscars don’t mean much to me anymore, since they’ve increasingly started rewarding mediocrity (Titanic, Gladiator…)

I agree. I think it should get Best Screenplay, at the least. I also think Guy Pierce deserves a nod. Carrie-Anne Moss didn’t really impress me that much.

I’d give it best picture, but then again, I didn’t see or have any desire to see any of last year’s nominees. Oh wait, that’s not true, I did see and enjoy CTHD.

I stand corrected.

So when they look at release dates for eligibility purposes, they are looking at only the U.S. release date? I did not know that. I guess you learn something new every day.

(BTW, is it considered a foreign film? If it is, it may get a nomination for Best Foreign Film, like they did with Crouching Tiger.)

The category is not Foreign Film; it’s best Foreign Language Film. It’s only for movies that are not filmed in English.

It’s more specific than just “U.S.,” Jeannie. A movie’s debut date in Los Angeles County determines its eligibility.

Here’s what I found in a Google search:

Memento win an award? I’ll bet everyone will have forgotten about it by then.

Guy Pearce.
Guy Pearce.
Guy Pearce.

Doesn’t matter, though – the oscar will probably go to someone mediocre but likeable. Let’s see, Mel has his, Russell has his. Could it be Hugh’s turn?

Now that is funny ! :smiley:

Did anyone else get the feeling that director had originally intended Brad Pitt in the lead role ? Not that I didnt like Guy Pierce, but the dude looks exactly like Brad Pitt.

Well maybe Pearce can complete the L.A. Confidential Best Actor trifecta. Kevin Spacey won in 2000 for American Beauty, Russel Crowe won in 2001 for Gladiator. So maybe the third main character from L.A. Confiedential, Guy Pearce, will win in 2002.

That’s exactly what I was thinking. And pretty much what a lot of other people have said. I think we’ve pretty much got the Oscar system figured out, don’t we?

(Although I regret I think Best Actor is a long shot. Unless their really hard pressed to find bigger names to nominate…which, actually, this year they are.)

Adapted? From what? It was a book? Did it have a differnet title? 'Cause it seems to me I did a search for “Memento” on Books in Print and didn’t get anything. (Although I really can’t remember…)

“Memento” was adapted from a short story by the director’s brother. A link exists to the story, which was published in one of the major magazines (Atlantic, possibly, or Harper’s).

As for its chances, who wants to list probable candidates? This year’s crop may be so bad it may get nominated.

What else for Best picture:
Planet of the Apes and Pearl Harbor for the blockbuster, big-budget slots
Moulin Rouge for the big-budget arty film
Blow for the issue film

What else: Schrek?

They may have to nominate “Memento” just to make the list look good.

Shrek probably won’t be nominated for Best Picture, because they have added a Best Animated Feature category.

I doubt that Planet of the Apes or Pearl Harbor will hear their names called too many times when the nominations come down. They didn’t even do well at the box office.

Well, the studios usually wait until the late in the year to release their Oscar caliber movies. Ali is getting a lot of buzz, The Majestic, Gangs of New York, The Royal Tennenbaums are just some of the ones off the top of my head that are yet to come out that many seem to think will merit Oscar consideration.