Your Favorite Alternative Christmas Songs

• I was dragged to Santa’s Villiage last weekend, so bear with me for having christmas on the brain. *

Help! I started this project in early December last year, and quickly hit a wall since it’s difficult to find songs when you don’t know who sang them… I’m trying to form a collection of Christmas songs, preferably recorded since 1990, by alternative (or rock, as long as it’s not by an “adult contemporary” artist) bands/singers. I have Come All Ye Faithful: Rock For Choice, which sort of gave me the idea, since I know that there must be a lot more songs out there than are on that cd. Maybe I’ll have better luck if I start earlier…

The songs I’m seeking can be either covers like ** Everclear’s version of “Santa Baby”** or non-traditional and/or orginal songs like Fountain of Wayne’s “I Want an Alien For Christmas.” Anyone have any favorites to recommend to me?

I’ve kinda been partial to the Pretenders’ 2000 Miles, sung by Chrissy Hynde. Nice little alternative Xmas ditty, though I think it was an 80s song.

My favorite so far is Leon Redbone’s “Christmas Island”. Some originals, some standards in his own unique style. I particularly like “The Christmas Ball”.

Whoops, the above post should have indicated that I’m talking about an entire CD, not just one or two songs. I love all the songs on that disk.

Joni Mitchell’s, “I Wish I Had A River”, you hardly ever hear it, but it’s wonderful, really.

Well. I have this great CD called “The Jingle Cats”. It’s real samples of cats’ meows, put together to make Christams carols (like they did with those “singing” doggies a few years back).

The recording boasts a ton of happy favorites… everything from “Jingle Bells” to Elvis’s “Blue Christmas”.

Oh, man, it’s hilarious.

And it’ll drive you nuts in five minutes or less, guaranteed.

Everclear- “Hating you for Christmas”

and Blink 182- “I Won’t Be Home for Christmas”

Whenever all the radio stations are playing that sappy holiday fare, I tune in for the above. I feel evil. :cool:

You might try a CD entitled Dark Noel. It had a lot of Christian hard rock and alternative artists doing their version of Christmas music. I don’t much listen to Christian music anymore, but I would recommend this CD to anyone tired of the standard fare. Look for it on Radrockers if the site still works.

One of his albums is “Toolbox Christmas”. Christmas classics played on tools, both of the power and hand varieties.

As long as I’m not disqualified, as a Jew, from having an opinion . . . .

The only Christmas song I ever have any desire to hear is The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl’s “Fairytale of New York” (and I can’t believe I get to be the first to mention it in this thread).

weird als " christmas at ground zero"

indie band munkafests " my birthday is near xmas and it sucks "

and the ramones : i dont want to argue anymore at christmas

i may have killed that title but thats the gist of it

“Weird Al” Yankovic - “Christmas at Ground Zero”

And if “Weird Al” ain’t alternative, I don’t know what alternative is. (Hell, Al made “The Alternative Polka”, fer cryin’ out loud! :D)

My favorite ? The Twelve Days of Christmas of course.

I nominate ‘Fuck Christmas’ by FEAR.

Also the Dickies version of ‘Silent Night’.

“Grandma got run over by a reindeer” Forgot who sings it. Sorry.
Now it’s stuck in my head.

Patsy & Elmo. And their Xmas CD is actually pretty good.

A CD called A Broadway Christmas has a song “I Don’t Remember Christmas” which is my all time favorite.

You also forgot Weird Al’s The Night Santa Went Crazy. A classic!

I’d have to say “Styrosnow” by the Eraserheads. It’s a brilliant song, because they just don’t get snow in the phillipines (where the band is from). So instead they pray for styrosnow. Genius.

Yup, Weird Al’s “Christmas at Ground Zero”. I used that one to demonstrate the importance of lyrics to fella bilong missus flodnak. And let’s not forget the Spike Jones version of “All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth”.

For entire CD’s of holiday mirth, might I recommend:

• Punk Rock Xmas - Contains quite a few of the songs already mentioned. Plus some other gems.

• Lump of Coal - A collection by various artists that may be tough to find. Has a nice version of “The First Noel” by Crash Test Dummies, and Henry Rollins with “Night Before Xmas”.

• Mojo Nixon and the Toad Liquors - Horny Holidays - Their version of “Night Before Xmas” is priceless. And ya have to love a sexed-up Xmas disc that starts off with “Happy Birthday to you, you woodworking Jew, Happy Birthday dear Jesus, Happy Birthday to you.”

For singles, try:

• The Reducers - Nothing for Christmas. Almost impossible to find, but a great tune from a great Connecticut band.

• Pansy Division - Homo Christmas “Licking nipples, licking nuts, sticking candy canes, up each other’s butt”.

And BTW, damn you, while searching Amazon for the links I added 3 CD’s to my wish list…