epinephrine question

hey, I’m having an argument about the effects of adrenaline on involuntary reactions and I’m not finding anything definitive on Google.

What I’ve found tells me what I already know: epinephrine can be used to lessen pain. I can’t find information at all regarding whether or not it eliminates pain entirely, and whether or not it would do so to involuntary reactions (i.e. pulling your hand away from something causing pain).

I know from personal experience that someone in an adrenaline rage isn’t affected by a shot to the nuts like a calm person would be, yet I also know from experience that the same person will shriek and stumble away in pain when you finger-jab his eyes.

What’s the final word?

I can state pretty much with certainty that epinephrine per se doesn’t cause any type of analgesia. However, catecholamines (of which epinephrine is a protypical member) do cause release of endorphins and related peptides. Endorphins and related peptides do have a role to play in people’s repsonse to, and sensation of, pain, i.e. they lessen it.