0 degrees kelvin

how long would a humam being survive in the temperature of 0 degrees kelvin

Not long.

Reported for forum change.

It depends whether the human was in a vacuum or not. In a vacuum (ignoring the issue of asphyxiation), it would take a while to radiate away the heat. Last time I did the calculation, I assumed the person was 150 lb, had an emissive efficiency of .5, an area of 1 m^2, was at 30 deg C, and that the specific heat of water doesn’t change too much in the 0-30 deg C range. I got ~ 16.5 min per degree C, so it would take about 8 hours for the person to become frozen, and about an hour to die.

Is this something you do for fun? What was the context?

Yeah a few years ago I had the same question, so I did a quick-and-dirty calculation. I suspect that if you had one of those reflective blankets you could survive indefinitely. But obviously all bets are off if you were not in a vacuum. Liquid helium, for example, would kill you in seconds.

0 degrees Kelvin is absolute zero. Liquid helium is only a few degrees higher.

diabolus69, this forum is used for discussions of board activity. Your question is best answered in the forum General Question. I am moving the thread for you.

Obligatory nitpick

There is no such thing as degrees Kelvin. Kelvin is not an arbitrary scale like Fahrenheit and Celsius but an actual unit of energy. It should be expressed simply as 0 Kelvin.

Since you are nitpicking: it’s not an actual unit of energy, it is a unit of temperature, which is related to the mean kinetic energy per particle. Until the late 1960’s Kelvins were called “degrees absolute”; it’s not like there is anything fundamentally wrong with that use of language. A Kelvin is a degree relative to the triple point of water. AFAIK, the technical definition of “degree” is not as strict as you think, though I’d be interested in being corrected if I’m wrong and you have a cite.

Agreed. Zero Kelvin is currently unattainable by science, even space is slightly warmer because of the background radiation.

At Zero Kelvin, all matter should instantly disintegrate because there is no energy left holding the atoms together. Quantum foam.

I presume the OP means 0 degrees Celsius. The freezing point of water.

I’m not sure why you’d presume that, since people survive 0°C on earth all the time.

It’s a mental exercise at best, since this temperature cannot currently be attained. But it is my layperson’s understanding that at 0 Kelvin, all matter ceases to move. Wouldn’t your cells just freeze in an instant?

The vacuum of space is close enough to 0 Kelvin for the spirit of the question. So is liquid Helium. No, your cells would not freeze in an instant. It takes a while to cool down an object. The questions is asking “how long”.

Perhaps I should have said “assume”.

A logical integration of the question is that it is of the simple human body - unclothed, unprotected. Otherwise we could postulate a sealskin garment or a spacesuit, thus rendering the query a nullity.

There is no evidence whatsoever that the OP misspoke. The natural assumption is that he meant what he said: kelvin. And it is a perfectly coherent and meaningful question.

Btw, your statement:

Is gibberish.

The rate of heat transfer for liquid helium would be tremendously higher.

Perhaps he was referring to the fact that it’s impossible to achieve 0 kelvin.

It is possible for something to have a temperature slightly above 0 kelvin. Like 0.0000001 K. But it’s impossible for something to have a temperature of *precisely *0 kelvin.

Right. The only way to achieve absolute zero…for reals…is for all motion in the universe to utterly cease. In which case, of course, all humans would already be long since dead.

Likely to piss off your bosons, though. Isn’t that about where Bose-Einstein Condensation comes into play?

You are such a Doper.

Laws of Thermodynamics, simplified:

1. You can’t do any better than breaking even
  2. You can’t break even except at absolute zero
  3. You can’t reach absolute zero.