[QUOTE=Gary T]
I would say unbolted and partially removed, but in the context of the work being done, removed makes sense - it was removed from the item(s) being worked on that it was attached to.
But what I was trying to convey was that in the diagram I was looking at, it appeared that one starter bolt, entering from the front, went through the starter, the plate directly behind the block (can’t think of a proper/better name for this), then threaded into the bellhousing. The other starter bolt, entering from the rear, went through the plate (2-3 mm thick) and threaded into the starter. Only the first bolt had to be removed to separate the tranny from the engine. The plate, with starter still attached to it, could stay in place at the rear of the engine. Only once all the bellhousing-to-block bolts were removed and the tranny withdrawn, nothing was fastening it to the block - it normally would just rest upon the dowel pins (if they stayed in the block). But with a heavy starter hanging on one side, I expect the plate cum starter would tilt and fall off.
The more I think about it, the more I suspect I’ve misinterpreted the drawing and both starter bolts would have to be removed. In which case the dealer was saying they didn’t remove the starter because it didn’t make it to the bench, being left hanging in the vehicle as you described. Picking nits, I would say, but still moot in regards to the OP’s apparent concern.
[/QUOTE]
On British cars that plate is called the end plate. It is usually bolted to the block with a few bolts. Typically at the top of the bellhousing there is a dowel pin or two. Leaving the starter hang does not result in the end plate moving as it is bolted to the block. Based on what you describe I would unbolt the starter, and move it forward about an inch or so, and let the bendix end rest on the end plate and the front be supported by the cable.
enipla No I haven’t, but Gary T nailed it, and its relevence to the tranny repair. The starter is in the same neighborhood, but not really effected by the tranny removal. Starters as a rule are pretty damn robust, and very hard to kill. Off the top of my head, I can’t think of anything the mechanic could do that would kill the starter.