$1,000 Bill

Note that Salmon P. Chase was Chief Justice of the United States, not just a justice. But the real reason he’s on the $1,000 bill is because he was Lincoln’s first Secretary of the Treasury, and thus was the one who came up with ways to finance the Union part of the Civil War.

Also, there was a $100,000 bill with Woodrow Wilson on the front. I believe this was used only for transfers between Federal Reserve Banks.

… and here’s the link to the Mailbag item.
http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/m1000.html

Please, gang, provide the links to the item you are commenting on so that people wanting to response can at least read the original. Thanks.

My apologies. I plead newness and ignorance…and, besides, it’s my sister’s fault.

Nature abhors a vacuum, which means there are a lot of people whose brains are in mortal peril.

Oops. I’m slowly figuring out what I’m doing here, and I’ve discovered there was already a thread on this topic. I’ll just go stand in a corner…

Nature abhors a vacuum, which means there are a lot of people whose brains are in mortal peril.

What kind of a person would name a baby SALMON?

Signitorily yours, Mr John
" Pardon me while I have a strange interlude."-Marx

Well, I dunno about Mr Chase’s situation, but I know that Salman (or Zalman) is the Russian/Yiddish version of the name Solomon.

I named a baby salmon once.
I named him clyde.
Then I ate him.

I’m not flying fast, just orbiting low.

What’s wrong with the name Salmon? Edmund Muskie…Zebulon Pike…Fish from “Barney Miller”…lots of examples of aquatic names.

As a FIRST name? ‘Ah isn’t he cute? Lets name him Carp.’ ‘No, Perch.’

Signitorily yours, Mr John
" Pardon me while I have a strange interlude."-Marx

“Sure, we’ll name him after a fish… after all, your mother drinks like one. So, we’ll name him after a fish just for the halibut.”

“Not tonight, I have a haddock.”

OK ,dex, the Fish Police got their eye on you now. They’re polishing their ray guns now. But don’t just take my word for it ,for this and many other fine fish stories, see if you can find the ‘fish truck’ topic, I couldn’t or I’d post a link.

“Mr. Burns … I think we can trust the PRESIDENT of Cuba.”

If I had one of these bills would it be a collector’s items. By bills I mean one that is now discontinued.

[[What’s wrong with the name Salmon? Edmund Muskie…Zebulon Pike…Fish from “Barney Miller”…lots of examples of aquatic names.]]
Trout Fishing in America Shorty!

Consider the name “Fox Mulder” for a moment…and then be grateful “X-Files” isn’t a CBS program. (“Columbia Mulder?”)

My Grandmother was named Ethel. When I was little, I used to occasionally wonder why she was named after gasoline. (I don’t think anyone under 30 is gonna get that statement. Tough–that’ll teach 'em to be younger than me.)

Folks,

Just to set the record straight, Salmon P. Chase IS NOT on the $1,000, he’s on the $10,000 bill. Grover Cleveland is on the $1,000, James Madison on the $5,000, Chase on the $10,000, and Wilson on the $100,000. These, along with the $500 bill (William McKinley pictured), are all being withdrawn from circulation as they cross through the Federal Reserve system.

I present http://www.treas.gov/currency/ as my source.

Chuck L.

“The intellectuals’ chief cause of anguish are one another’s works.”
Jacques Barzun
Cheers! CAL

Chuck, my friend, if you’d check out the Mailbag Answer, you’d find agreement with your comments.

The link is in the second post in this topic.

No one has said Mr Chase was on the $1000 bill. The OP listed the topic as $1000 bill, but we digressed (as we oft’ do) to Mr Chase’s amusing first name. Just as a friendly bit of advice, Chuck, you might find it helpful in future to READ the Mailbag answer and the comments before trying to correct what everyone else already rightly understood?

FYI, CKD; the 1st post in this topic says Salmon Chase is on the $1,000 bill.

Thanks, Daniel… and my apologies, Chuck. The Mailbag article clearly does NOT put Mr Chase on the $1K bill.

CKDextHavn
Apology accepted. I was responding to the OP , and I DO read the MB articles before responding, a good policy as you suggest. I should have prefaced my reply with a salutation to the OP and the quote to which I was responding.

“The intellectuals’ chief cause of anguish are one another’s works.”
Jacques Barzun
Cheers! CAL