10-10-10-10-10.......

Does anyone know hy they changed those stupid 10-10… numbers by adding a second set of 10’s? I remember a few years back there were a relative few of these numbers, and the all were 10-325, 10-529 etc, as opposed to 10-10-345. Was the change a government mandated thing, or does the second ten do something different than the one set of tens?

I guess in short, how the hell do those things work?

The facts expressed here belong to everybody, the opinions to me. The distinction is
yours to draw…

Omniscient; BAG

10- is the American “get out of the system” code. You use it for international dialing, and, for a while, you used it for selecting a long-distance carrier.

That much I know. The rest, I’m guessing.

With the huge upspring of 10- carriers, the numbers were running out, so they took all the things that weren’t international long distance and made them 10-10-.

John W. Kennedy
“Compact is becoming contract; man only earns and pays.”
– Charles Williams

John W. Kennedy sed:
10- is the American “get out of the system” code. You use it for international dialing, and, for a while, you used it for selecting a long-distance carrier.

Actually, John, 011 is the International access code for US callers.

This is gonna sound kind of conpiratorial, but…

Telephones with number memory usually have (or had) a maximum of 15 digits available per number. I suspect that the phone companies forced these 10-10 companies to add the extra 2 digits to bring the total up to 16. This forces people to actually dial the whole long distance number, rather than programming their speed dial to dial the prefix for them.

Carpe hoc!