104--broke the heat record

Gorgeous here. Mid 80’s, not our usual heat and oppressive humidity. :smiley: *

• We don’t often get to brag on weather round here this time of year…

According to the internets, it’s 30C/85F. Not too bad, right? Except imagine that air conditioning was a luxury few could afford. And bathing was a once a week occasion for most people. See what I’m getting at? And I see it’s just going to get hotter and hotter throughout the week and on Saturday (my birthday, fyi) it’ll be 36C/97F. YAY!

It was 107 here earlier this week, with heat indexes around 115 (which is what, 46 C?). Humidity in the 70% range.

I didn’t leave the house. Luckily, it’s only in the mid nineties this week with humidity in the 50% range.

You too? Over here we had the added delight of a neighbour’s palm tree banging into the power lines, interrupting our power about seven times before noon.

To the OP: Where do you live? 40 degrees - pffffffff.

It was 102 degrees here (Puyallup, WA) on Friday, 100 on Saturday, and 100 yesterday. It cooled down to about 99 yesterday by about 5:00. :rolleyes:

Today is supposed to be cooler, but they said that about yesterday too. We shall see.

AC is not common in homes around here. This is the Pacific Northwest, after all. It was miserable trying to sleep this weekend.

We got to right around 101 here in central Oregon. A storm came through in the afternoon, which blocked a lot of the sunlight- but then we had MOIST heat. And it never actually rained, dammit.

The sad thing is, most people here don’t have air conditioning. A friend of mine lives in an apartment without AC, so out of desperation he filled his humidifier with icecubes. He said it helped a little bit.

My new house has AC. I didn’t want to leave all day long.

Where in Fremont? (Not too precise!) On Satuday I put my outdoor temperature sensor on my back lawn, and it got to 107.2° . The real problem is that it never got below 78° or so at night.

The humidity was okay, but then we used to live in Louisiana and New Jersey, so we think normal humidity is a bit higher than Bay Area natives do.

Yeah well I’m hot 'n cranky.

North end. Ardenwood near 84 :slight_smile:

It’s not really north/south but coastal/inland, with some north/south thrown in. The CA coast is, for the most part, cooler and foggier, but south of Santa Barbara it gets warmer and drier. So while San Diego is pretty warm, it’s hot desert if you go inland from there. As you go north, it gets cooler, but the central valley is still very hot and dry all the way up to Redding (3 hours north of Sacramento)–north of that you start getting the mountains and cooler weather. On the coast, meanwhile, you get lovely cool summers and lots of fog from Santa Barbara on up, and it’s downright cold and wet on the coast once you get to San Francisco, and gets more so the further north you go.

So you see some very dramatic weather shifts by going straight east from the coast and over some hills. Start, say, in Santa Maria, which is nice and cool, mostly in the 80’s, all summer long, and drive 2 hours directly east to Bakersfield, where it isn’t a really hot day until it hits 110.

Does that help? :cool:

It was 97 degrees in my Seattle backyard yesterday afternoon.

It was considerably hotter in my kitchen, because I spent the morning boiling Dungeness crabs for a dinner party.

Then I was supposed to make peach-and-berry tarts for dessert, but the dough refused to not be soft and sticky, so I had to put it in the freezer for half an hour just to make it workable. Turned out okay in the end.

I took three cold showers yesterday.

The fuzzy black land shark has apparently misplaced his skeleton. He is no longer a cat; he is a flat pool of puddled darkness on the linoleum in the back room. Every now and then he summons up the will to raise his head a fraction of a centimeter and emit a plaintive squeak in my direction. And this is the back room, with the air conditioner, which means it’s fifteen degrees cooler than the rest of the house, which is approximately the temperature of Satan’s own ball sack.

On the up side, I lost three pounds over the weekend. :rolleyes:

Ditto on the cat puddle problem. Official report from yesterday is now 105.

In southern Arizona it got up to anywhere from 111 to 116 over the weekend. A heat advisory is in effect. It’s been like that for a while now; we’re breaking temperature records. We’re all looking forward to the cold snap due this week, where it’s predicted temperatures will dip down to around 99. Monsoon season has been slow and sporadic, meaning there’s no humidity, so you don’t go outside unless you want to turn into jerky. My cold water tap only issues hot water. The cactus everywhere are starting to turn brown. A stray cat died of dehydration on my porch yesterday, two feet from the water dish I leave out for them.

It’s hot. Sad and dry and hot.

I’d like to point out that:

1. San Jose beat the previous record high (on Sunday) by 11 degreees
  2. It only got down to 77 degree last night
  3. Hi Opal!

Yeah, that happened Saturday night in Morgan Hill. It was a bizarre feeling to step outside at 5:30 a.m. Sunday and feel how warm and muggy it was. You’d think we were living in southeast Texas!

It was 111 yesterday (a new record), 93 by 8:00 AM this morning.

This has been a rather annoying week, especially since I use public transit.

The heat wave has finally, finally broken here: Yesterday’s high was a balmy 88. We went hiking with some friends. It was warm out and we were sweaty, but nothing remotely like last week’s soul-searing inferno.

After that we sat on the back porch, had a few drinks, and grilled some pork chops. The weather could not have been more pleasant. :cool: