104--broke the heat record

The previous record was 103, though the humidity was nice and low, so although it was a bit oven-like, the sky was clear. How was it where you are?

16 degrees and wet.

Well over here in Merrie England the BYST (see earlier thread) is still blasting its balls off trying to fry each and every one of us.
We just had the hottest July day day since Adam was a lad (apparently) and I tells ya this has gone on long enough!!

We just aint used to this sort of weather in the UK, not at all!!

Summer here usually starts on a Tuesday and ends on the Wednesday, it also usually rains on the Tuesday especially in Scotland but there have been rare instances of unbroken sunshine for a full 24 hours across the whole country. :smiley:

I’m out in the Mill Hill area, and the thermometre on the side porch was reading 34 C in the shade on Saturday.

110F today.

Supposed to cool down to 107F tomorrow.

12:30 AM and current temperature here is 93F.

16 degrees Celsius right now–it’s nighttime–and clear. It’s supposed to get up to 26 degrees tomorrow; we’re actually getting some cooler weather coming now, which is a blessing.

Yesterday I happened to flip over to The Weather Channel and the ticker said it was 84º here. Felt hotter. I took a cold shower. I lay down on my bed (my southern dwelling is an efficiency apartment) and it felt as if the covers had just been taken out of a dryer.

Eastern Colorado plains, up in the “crotch” of the Nebraska panhandle – 109 once last week, over 100 five of the past seven days, supposed to hit high 90s again today.

Largely because we’ve swapped weather patterns with the UK of late; the majority of this week is going to be cooler and soggy while the UK enjoys(?) unprecedented heat waves and sunshine.

Is that all? We had 117 yesterday. Thanks to a handful of power failures and the heat, it got to 82 degrees in the house. The air conditioning didn’t bring the house back down to normal until about 4 AM today.

I learned something yesterday. It can be too hot for propane to work. We didn’t want to cook in the house, so I tried to start the grill. No joy. Because of the heat, the usual pressure differences that take place as liquid propane boils off in the tank to be released as vapor to the grill wasn’t happening. I had to hit the tank with the garden hose for a bit to get gas to come out. About a half hour later, I saw the thermometer on the grill was dropping, so I had to cool the tank again.

I heard it was about 115 here, I saw that it was still about 97 after dark (930pm or so) last friday.

:dubious: 82’s what our AC’s always set at. Poor baby. You see, it never, never goes over 100 here. But during the summer (May - September), it also rarely goes below 80. Most days, we have a 10 - 15 degree window between the high and the low, and unrelenting >80% humidity.

It’s actually cooled down this week, cause the high / low for the next 5 are 88 / 77, with thunderstorms every single day.

You know, I’m not sure which I’d prefer: the overwhelming sameness of our summer, or an ordinarily cool summertime with the occasional heatwave.

It’s mild today, but last week was a string of sizzlers. The newspapers say it reached 100 on Wednesday and again on Friday. Which means that it actually was more like 106 or 107. And the humidity, needless to say, was very high.

has England been moved to the Arctic circle now? :wink: i would surmise that there has NEVER been a full 24 hours of unbroken sunshine.

Yup, the humidity is the killer. But you have to understand, it never goes over 100 here in the bay area, either, except inland. We have that whole fog acting as natural air conditioning thing. And we normally don’t get the humidity from hell, either. The fact that it got up to close to 100 in San Francisco is just mind blowing.

112° in Fremont.

108 on Saturday and 106 on Sunday in Morgan Hill, which is just south of San Jose, California. However, I read that Danville, just inland of the east bay area, hit 116 on Saturday.

We turned off as much electricity as possible except for the AC and stayed indoors all weekend doing some home improvement chores and reading a lot. Now I’m at work, and we all have our fingers crossed against any power outages here in San Jose today.

Only about 112 here this weekend, but, unlike the vast majority of California residents, I don’t have an air conditioner. I have a swamp cooler, which is perfectly fine on a normal summer and even bearable on the few days over 110. But when it’s that hot for a full week and doesn’t cool off at night, life gets pretty miserable.

It was 90 degrees and 100% humidity in the house. It was so freakin humid that the smoke alarms were going off and none of the doors close right. I shipped the kids off to their father’s to bask in the A/C and spent the day starfished on my bed under the ceiling fan, wearing as little as possible and sporting an ice pack for a hat.

Was supposed to be blazing and clear all week, but we’ve had some thunderstorms mixed in, which made it merely pretty hot and humid. I live in Southern Oregon! We’re not supposed to have humidity! Saturday was 108, which (I believe) matched the previous record, and today looks about the same.

113 here, which is high, but not so high that no one could cope. It always gets over 105 for a few days in summer, and compared to the rest of the California Central Valley, we usually have it easy.

I felt a lot sorrier for my brother’s family, who live in the outskirts of the Bay Area and have no AC. We visited last week, and it was about 102 and miserable. Their house (a little duplex) just isn’t built for that kind of weather, so it was a horrid little box that stayed unbearably hot long after it had cooled down nicely outside. I hope they’ve bought an AC unit by now, as it was 112 yesterday for them.

What a great word picture! “Starfished” indeed!

We have a really dry heat here on the High Plains (which is more dangerous than humid heat because you don’t realize how dehydrated you’re getting until it’s too late.) I know California has been just miserable this past week – where’s the transition line between humid north and dry south?