11 11 11:11 [Time of WWI Armistice]

November 11, 2018 will mark 100 years since the end of WWI.
Is that 11:11 GMT?

It’s 11:00 (not 11:11) am Paris time.

By the way, the armistice that ended the fighting went into effect at 11:00 am (Paris time) on November 11 (“the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month”). Technically, though, the war didn’t officially end until the Treaty of Versailles went into effect on January 10th, 1920 (over a year later!).

Thanks, gdave. One does want to remember at the correct time.
It’s a Sunday, I can toast those poor guys who died in the War To End All Wars.

The United States didn’t ratify the Treaty of Versailles. So the war between Germany and the United States didn’t officially end until November 11, 1921 when a separate peace treaty went into effect.

China also did not sign the Treaty of Versailles. But their separate treaty with Germany went into effect on May 20, 1921.

Well, if you want to be scrupulously accurate, Paris time in November 1918 did align with GMT, whereas in November 2018 Paris time is GMT+1.

Title edited to better indicate subject. Please use descriptive thread titles.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

We knew what it was about.

No we didn’t.:wink:

Arguments are in Great Debates. :wink:

With a six-hour time difference, you will need to set your alarm early :slight_smile:

And Armistice day has been extended to include the people who died in all wars; although mainly the 20th-century ones.

In the U.S., Armistice Day is no longer observed as such; Veteran’s Day, which specifically honors U.S. military veterans, is observed instead. Although, just about all of the ceremonies I’ve ever been to commence at 11:00 am and make specific reference to “the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month” and the WWI Armistice.

Memorial Day honors those who died in wars in general.

Of course, that’s just the U.S.

Not challenging you at all, bob++, but I’m curious. In what country(ies) is Armistice Day observed and extended as you indicate?

We call it Remembrance Day in Canada, and it does commemorate all military deaths, but the key moments is always 11 am on November 11. The poppy is the symbol.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 AM is the start of the 12th hour. 12-1 AM is the first hour.

“In Flanders fields …” :frowning:

It’s also the* completion* of the eleventh hour. Which is what they meant.

ON means at the end of something? Does “Christmas is on the 25th of December” mean it is at the completion of the 25th? (yes, I’m arguing for the fun of it. Waiting for the idiom excuse next…)

Who said “on”? :confused:

The armistice went into effect “at” 11:00 am. (There, I have returned your ground stroke.) :smiley:

That’s in case in South Africa too, and probably all Commonwealth countries.

Remembrance Day here is commemorated much the same as in the UK, red poppies, 11/11, parades and wreath laying, war dead from WWI and all the wars after that remembered.

No they’re not!