157 MPG Car to go on Sale in Germany

It’s cheap, not exactly pretty, and kind of slow.

Wonder if it’ll go on sale here in the States?

99 mph is great considering what else itt is offering. Does it come with room for three car seats?

Meh. I’m not sure that should even be legal on the interstate.

The moped of cars.

I’d think your standards were a little higher, Tuckerfan.

I can’t imagine anyone in america lining up to buy something that takes 20 seconds just to get to 60 mph. I could see a lot of folks buying the GT version, though. It doesn’t suck so bad in the power department, and still gets a respectable 87 mpg.

Looking at the hybrid market though, it seems to me like there are lots of folks out there who are intersted in fuel economy, but the manufacterers are only interested in selling something that has enough power to compete with any standard gas engine. From what I can see, there would be a lot of folks willing to buy an 87 mpg car, hybrid or diesel, if someone would just sell the darn thing.

One of the comments on the web page compared it to something Homer Simpson would have made, but I’ve definately seen uglier cars.

Hey, I didn’t say I’d buy one (though if gas gets too high, I’d certainly have to consider it, seeing as I’m spending about 2 hours a day on the road at the moment).

Just a little too ugly and pokey.

I seriously want a Smartcar. They’re peculiar looking, yeah – but kind of cool, in a Mr. Bean kind of way.

The price of the Leromo is certainly attractive, but its pathetic attempt to look futuristic makes it too embarrassing to consider driving, especially since it has so little in the way of get-up-and-go.

I’m a bit curious as to how you’re supposed to get in and out of them, too. Duke-boy style? Did they put a trap door in the undercarriage to keep costs down? What?

IIRC, the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile gets from 0-60 in 18 seconds.

Why not? It has a top speed of 99 mph and 0-60 time of 20 sec. That’s much better than my '83 Mercedes diesel, which I drive on the interstate all the time. And I expect it’s much safer than a motorcycle, which are obviously legal on the interstate.

From the company’s web page:

There’s no picture with the “gate” open, but the 3D view shows where the edge of this gate is.

Interesting.

(Thanks for finding that – their website is a nightmare to navigate.)

God I hope to fuck you’re joking…

Cite?

Well, maybe not much better. But the Loremo LS has a 20 HP engine and weighs 992 lb. My 1983 Mercedes 240D has a 67 HP engine and weighs 3300 lb, according to this, so that’s almost identical power-to-weight ratio. And the Loremo is much more aerodynamic.

Thanks for the reply, scr4, but I think what I’m really asking for are officical number for your '84 Mercedes 240D.

I’ll gladly eat crow if I’m wrong.

I think I just found a cite for 19.7 seconds…
Now I think your car shouldn’t be allowed on Interstate highways, either.

Mmmm tastes like chicken.

From the Loremo Website:

That’s a little better. Gotta sacrifice the MPG for ‘high-performance’, though.

Given that the Leromo is made in Germany where speed limits don’t exist on some roads, one would think that if there were dangers involved with allowing them on the interstate, Germans wouldn’t build 'em. A fully loaded semi probably has the same 0-60 times.

Haven’t we already been down that slippery slope?

The interior is a trip.

It says it won’t go on sale until 2009, so we have a little while to wait still. I thought I had heard that the Smart cars were supposed to start selling in the states. Have they?

Just doing some quick calculations based on the MPG and the range, it looks like both models have a 5.0-5.5 gallon tank. I think that for most Americans, the MPG is less interesting than the total amount spent on gas. What are we really saving here?

I’ve got a Civic Hybrid that averages a little over 35 MPG with an 11 gallon tank. I’d say I drive about 20 miles a day, so I’m filling up about once every 18 days, or about 20 times a year. Just for the sake of nice numbers, let’s say it’s $20 every time. That means I’m spending about $400 on gas every year.

With the Leromo GT, I’d have to fill up about once every 25 days, or about 15 times a year. Since the tank is half the size of mine, the expense is also halved, so it’d be about $10 every time. That’s $150 on gas per year.

With the Leromo normal model, I’d have to fill up 9 times per year (once every 40 or so days), and spend about $90 on gas.

Now, that doesn’t take into account the cost of insurance, repairs, payments, etc., but unless one of those is very high (and at the prices they’re talking about, payments aren’t), this looks like a good choice for the money-conscious.

What do the mean by “cruising range”?