1812 Overture

GOD!..What an absolutely beautiful piece of music! If you know the story the music is supposed to tell…it just fits SO DAMN WELL!!!

I just listened to the overture again. As is the case every time, I am moved beyond words by this piece. I heard it preformed live by the Aberdeen Proving Grounds band with real live artillery acompanyment a few years ago, it was awsome! I am proud to say I timed it exactly right. I turned and pointed to the artillery EXACTLY as they fired the first salvo. I think it was as close as a musical imbecel like me will come to feeling melded with the music like a conductor or performer. I just wonder…

The piece was origionally performed with 400 black powder cannons. 400!!!Y’all have to understand that black powder cannons are LOUD! No, I mean LOUD!! The bombardment preceding Pickett’s charge at Gettysburgh was heard in Baltimore, 70 miles away, for Christ’s sake! Can you imagine the impact of that first volley? I would love to hear it performed that way once, just once…

I was in the orchestra in high school. We played this for our graduation, with a couple of cannons put together by the chemistry department. I still manage to love it anyway…

Have you tried PDQ Bach’s 1712 Overture? That’s a good one too.

The last part—CELEBRATION----with the bells—that TEMPO–fills my heart and makes my soul soar. By the end, with the cannons and all; the hair on my arms is standing up. It touches me to the very depths of my being.

Thanks for reminding me. Gonna go play it now.