1970's-era Catchphrases

<----- I’m With Stupid.

Hey HEY hey is from “What’s Happening”. 1985

I don’t know if this is a saying from the 70’s but in '76 there was quite a bit of patriotism. “Spirit of '76” et all.

What’s Happening? was first broadcast in 1976.

Re: Far fuckin’ out! I heard it as farkin’ far out!

“May the Force be with you.”

“Them Dukes, them Dukes!”

And of course anyone who was a kid in the '70s will remember several of the Schoolhouse Rock phrases. “And we described it with adjectives…”

“Obscure political bit: ‘WIN’ (J. Ford’s idea to control inflation was to have every citizen wear a button reading ‘WIN’, for ‘Whip Inflation Now’) Yes, really.”

Even MORE obscure political bit: The slogan was originally “Stop Inflation Now,” till Gerry Ford realized that handing out “SIN” buttons might not be a good idea.

Don’t forget all the early SNL phrases, from the 1975–79 period:
“Never mind!”
“Well, excuuuuuuse me!”
“We are two wild and crazy guys!”
“Jane, you ignorant slut!”
“It’s always somethin’”
“Whaddaya tryin’ t’ do, make me sick?”
“Ooooh, Mr. Bill!”

um. you didn’t read that right…
Hey HEY hey is from “What’s Happening”. 1985 in reruns, which is when I saw the show. haha.reruns…pun intended!

I am still reeling from the fact that I experienced references to the WIN button twice in one day. I thought it was just a dream after all these years, seriously. Anyway, Howard Stern mentioned it this morning.

And, unlike Eve, I CAN bring myself to mention “Up your nose with a rubber hose”. Not to mention Horschack’s “Oooh! Oooh!” AND Freddie “Boom Boom” Washington’s “Mr. Kottair”. People still say that for some reason.

Can you dig it?

What about “Whatcha talkin’ bout, Willis?”

“If this van is rockin’ don’t bother knockin’!”

Souuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuul Train!

Go ahead, MAKE MY DAY

I’m gonna make you an offer you can’t refuse

[Fonz]

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy!!!”

[/Fonz]

[quote]
What about “Whatcha talkin’ bout, Willis?”[/quote
I believe the correct spelling is “Whatchoo talkin’ bout, Willis?”

Often shortened to just “wick”, used thusly:
Person A: “Hey, I got tickets to the KISS concert”
Person B: “Aw, Wick!”

Other words used to indicate coolness: “outrageous” and “decent”.

Mega, meaning extrememly or very or a great amount/quantity. Mostly college use, seeming to revolve around parties and drinking. “There was mega beer there.”

We used to change “far out” and “right on” to “farm out” and “right arm.”