$2 bill-good luck or bad luck?

Or is theres a dispute about the change you receive. But I gave you a 2!

I used to work in Orange County, which has a large Vietnamese community. $2 bills in red envelopes were passed around on Chinese New Year.

When I was a kid my Dad gave me one and said it was good luck so I tucked it in my wallet and have kept it ever since, transferring it from wallet to wallet.

When I was a kid I believed it was lucky and was fascinated by how Jefferson’s (?) leg looks like it is twisted in the art on the back. Now I keep it because it reminds me of my Dad who passed away several years ago.

Haven’t seen a 2 dollar bill in quite a few years. However, that’s probably because 1 and 2 dollar bills are no longer produced up here.:slight_smile:

American currency is very widely used in Cambodia; I had several $2 bills I used as tips. The recipients were delighted. When I ran out of the $2 bills I offered to buy them back at $3 apiece, but had no takers.

I don’t know if you’re male or female but love knows no bounds. :wink:

During most of last year I would get about $40 in 2s every few weeks and pay for single drinks at restaurants with them or use them as tips if it were given the okay by the waiter/tress. And remember, exellent ice breakers. :wink:

Now that I have a full time job and actual spending money, I need to start doing this again. I have been pro two for a while now, just never had the extra money to be getting twos from my bank.

There’s a bar/restaurant in my town that gives you $2 bills as change when you pay for drinks at the bar. I always assumed they did that so you would tip the bartender more.

When I got married, our best man gave us an envelope with 28 - $2 bills in it (we were married on the 28th). It was a pretty cool gift and I kept it the whole time we were married.

My parents were collecting two dollar bills for some reason when my youngest sister died of cancer - they didn’t consider them good luck after that.

It’s money. How can money be bad luck? In fact, I have a $2 bill right here… OW! Damn paper cuts.

If I’m playing the luck game, I usually count all unusual bills/change as good luck. That way I’m wanting to look for them.

I throw 50s in there, since they seem to be falling out of use. The only 50s I’ve gotten come from the bank, and those don’t count anymore than finding a machine that always gives change in dollar coins if possible counts. (In college, I had pretty much all the dollar coins that were ever put into the vending machines due to this: the most it ever had was eight.)

I agree that it’s a generational thing. I was told that they were considered good luck, but wasn’t there a saying – lucky as a $2 bill – meaning unlucky – that dates back a lot further?

In 1976 my class took a trip to DC. One place we visited was the Department of Printing and Engraving. Guess what they were printing that day?

Back in the day, friends and I would takes stacks of them to strip clubs any time one of us had a bachelor party. I would definitely put them in the “good luck” column.