2 Questions, Beer Commercials and Legal Opinions

2 questions I have been meaning to ask and didn’t want to post 2 threads.

1. Why do beer commercials always end by the narrator saying the name of the beer company followed by the city and state? I’ve never noticed other industries doing this (Ford doesnt say “Ford Motor Company, Dearborn Michigan”). What is it about the brewing industry?

2. Whenever they refer to a legal opinion in a newspaper they always state the length of the document. “In a 462 page ruling Judge Smith said that…” Is the page number relevant to the strength of the ruling? Is it a legal reason?

RE; question #1, I’ve wondered that myself.

The industry association does have a bunch of self-imposed regulatory guidelines when it comes to advertising. This may be another one. It also may be a tradition that everyone follows because the big boys do it.

I’m interested to see if anyone has real info on the subject.

Although an avid amateur enthusiast, I must admit I have no idea why the beer commercials slip that info in. For imported beers, the address often seems to be of the importer, not the brewer.

As to the legal opinion business - there is no legal requirement that an opinion or ruling be of any specific length, or that a news account of the ruling mention its length.

I suspect newspapers do it for two reasons: first, it lends an air of exactitude to the quote. Secondly, it carries an inference of weighty authority – if the Fourth Circuit spent enough time on this to write 87 pages, then, doggone it, they must be right.

Of course, the Supreme Court may reverse the Fourth Circuit with only 64 pages of their own, so in the end, what is said in the pages matters a great deal more than how many words are used to say it.

And not all rulings are lengthy: in Virginia, unpublished appellate opinions are often one-page affairs, saying in essence, “The District Court’s decision in <i>Adams v. Bricker</i> is summarily affirmed.”

• Rick