2000 Democratic VP candidate Joe Lieberman has died at 82

(If someone beat me to it, go ahead and merge the threads.)

CNN is talking about it right now; they’re saying that he died from complications of a fall. RIP.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/27/politics/joe-lieberman/index.html

Interesting fellow - politicians now wouldn’t know what to make of him!

Good riddance.

I was sorry to hear this. he seemed like an okay guy to me.

In reading about his death I learned that apparently John McCain wanted Joe as a running mate. Interesting choice, but of course it wouldn’t fly with the GOP bigwigs, who thought it would lead to a split in the party. I guess they worried about that back then.

I find myself wondering what the Republican Party would look like today if their 2008 ticket was McCain Lieberman. I don’t think McCain would have won, but the election I think would have been closer, and I can’t help but wonder if the whole Trump thing might have gone differently if he hadn’t had Sarah Palin to lead the way to crazy.

Good riddance to Joe LIeberman, (D-Aetna). If it wasn’t for him we’d have a public option in the ACA. He considered joining a Republican ticket. With Democrats like him, who needs Republicans?

This is a terrible thing to say, and I 100% endorse it.

I just remember he campaigned against violent video games, so I thought he was a jackass even as a kid.

I remember when he served as Al Franken’s Vice President.

Yeah, not a lot good I can say about Lieberman. The very definition of a corporatist Democrat, who regularly used self-serving, heavy-handed moralizing to justify his positions. Was effectively a Republican after his 2006 election, as he lost the Democratic primary that year and only won as an independent with Republican votes. He played more than a little footsie with the Trump Administration, introducing Betsy DeVos at her confirmation hearing and interviewing with Trump as a possible FBI Director. And of course, he further besmirched himself in these last few years with the No Labels business.

He reminded me of the dad from Alf.

What? If only

At least Zell Miller will have someone to keep him company in Hell.

Bye, Felicia!

This made me laugh way more than it should have. Kudos

heh the electronic game world wont be mourning him either

Everytime he spoke he sounded like he was straining to pinch a deuce. He does shine though, compared to the sorry crop of “lawmakers” currently serving.

He wasn’t on my “better dead” list but let’s be honest; he was kind of a putz. As a jew I was always very disappointed in him, especially in the last couple years or so.

I certainly didn’t wish him dead and I’m sure he was a decent fellow but since the 2000 Election I didn’t have much respect for him. In particular his opposition to Obama in 2008 has always bothered me and his opposition to the ACA was disappointing in the extreme. And his recent involvement with the No Labels morons made me wish he would just shut up and go away.

He wasn’t directly responsible for the rise of Trump but in many ways I see him as an enabler.

I was not a fan. I don’t wish anyone (almost) dead, but I can’t say I mourn this guy. He might as well have been a republican. I have no idea why he was a Democrat.

He leaned all over the place, but pro choice, pro gun control…and Connecticut does lean Dem on Senators.

But he did hold a lot of crappy Republican beliefs as well.