2014 MLB Hall of Fame Ballot

Please vote for zero to ten players of your choice. If you’re voting for none, I’ve included an option at the bottom.

Lot of tough choices this year, since they did such a shitty job voting last year. There’s going to be a major bottleneck in the next few years, and deserving players are going to fall off the ballot. I had to switch a vote from Edgar Martinez to Maddux, from McGriff to Frank Thomas, and I still want to find a way to get Glavine and Kent on there.

Man, that is a heck of a HOF class.

It’s tough. I’ve been saying for a while that they need to get rid of the 10-vote limit; it’s going to cause problems and I wonder if it’s going to keep some deserving players from being elected at all. In this thread I voted for Bagwell, Biggio, Glavine, Maddux, Martinez, Piazza, Raines, Schilling, Thomas, and Trammell.

Or it’s going to cause another bottleneck down the road for the Veterans’ Committee.

Yeah, that’s a tough ballot. I went through it initially and checked 12, and that’s without Bonds, McGwire or Clemens.
I removed Kent and Walker, both of whom I think are quite deserving. I put Mussina on and left Schilling off - objectively I’m not sure that Mussina has a better case, but I just dislike Schilling so much.

Biggio
Bonds
Clemens
Glavine
Maddux
McGwire
Morris
Piazza
Schilling
Trammell

Baseball Reference’s sortable table of the 2014 HoF candidates, both regular and Veteran’s.

A +1 to the rage at the BBWAA’s incompetence last year in nominating anyone to the Hall. Though it’s not like 2013 was the only year they’ve been slacking. Tough decisions. Some of mine (Trammell, Walker, Raines) were based on their deserving to have been inducted already, so I put them on, even if a newcomer to the ballot was more deserving.

In alphabetical order: Bagwell, Bonds, Clemens, Maddux, Mussina, Piazza, Raines, Thomas, Trammell, Walker.

Biggio waits mainly out of my ire at his last two years with Houston, where the team basically was run around his trying to get to 3000 hits. I imagine though he’ll easily get in on the first ballot. Palmeiro waits because of being a arrogant lying ass, while not having enough skill (Clemens, Bonds) for me to overlook it. I don’t know if he’ll get in. On paper, he should. Given an infinite ballot, also add: Glavine, Kent, McGwire, Sosa, Edgar Martinez.

McGriff, Gonzalez, Morris, and Mattingly aren’t on my ballot, but I’m not going to scream and rant if they make it in.

I initially had at least 12.

Biggio
Bonds
Clemens
Glavine
Maddux
Piazza
Raines
Thomas

I’ve abandoned my anti-PED bias for players who would likely be in without them (Sosa and McGwire don’t make the cut.)

So at the moment, the SDMBHOF is only electing Maddux and Piazza, with Glavine just outside the door.

I hope the real voters get at least 4 in, or there is going to be a clusterfuck that grows for the next several years.

ETA. And Glavine made it to just over 75% while I was typing.

I voted all the first timers, and Bagwell.

I don’t think the guys with overwhelming circumstantial evidence they doped should be in.

I think there is something wrong with your ballot if you don’t vote for Greg Maddux. I can understand debating pretty much every other player on the list. Maybe you think steroids taint a candidate, perhaps you are a believer in the weird made up rule that only the best of the best can be first ballot Hall of Famers, or maybe you just like to root against guys who weren’t on your team. Maddux transcends all of that. He should be on every ballot without any debate. He was a historically elite pitcher in a time when offense was historically high. Johnson and Martinez are in the same boat, when they become eligible.

I voted for
Maddux
Raines
Glavine
Trammell
Bagwell
Bonds
Clemens
Piazza
Thomas
Biggio

I hope this is the year Raines and Trammell finally get in. They both deserve to be in the Hall. But, for some reason, don’t get the platitudes I would expect to hear about them. I’m not a big Morris fan, but it sounds like he is going to make it for sure this year.

I’m really looking forward to the most interesting Hall of Fame vote this year. Who is Deadspin going to vote in?! (If you didn’t read about it. Deadspin paid a member of the BBWAA for his/her vote. And, they are letting the readers vote on who to put on the ballot)
I read a comment with a great idea on the path to take, and it was to vote statistically exactly how most people are going to vote. And, then blame an especially obnoxious person for selling his vote, when they are exactly the same. Not exactly feasible, but a funny idea, nonetheless.

How long before all the hypocritical, manufactured rage at those PED users who have been revealed subsides? There’s going to be a bottleneck until those who cheered on their accomplishments in full knowledge, and now purport to be shocked, get over their bad selves.

Bonds and Clemens were among the best ever to play, even if they did play in the Steroid Era, and it’s absurd that they didn’t get 100% on the first ballot. There are no doubt others getting votes from the sanctimonious who simply haven’t been exposed yet (Piazza?).

Morris and Schilling were as reliable Big Game Winners as there ever were. Maddux, Glavine, Biggio, Bagwell, Piazza, Thomas were as good as anyone at their positions for many years. Those are my picks, with Palmeiro, Walker, Trammell, Sosa, McGwire, Raines, Martinez and Mattingly in the Hall of Really Good But Not Quite.

Maddux
Martinez
Lee
Thomas

And yet a couple of people won’t.

I voted for:

Jeff Bagwell
Craig Biggio
Barry Bonds (holding my nose as I clicked his box)
Tommy Glavine
Greg Maddux
Mike Piazza
Tim Raines
Curt Schilling
Sammy Sosa (holding my nose even tighter)
Alan Trammell
I don’t think Jack Morris’ chances would have been good in any event, but since there are at LEAST three better starting pitchers than him on the ballot (icnluding two absolute no-brainers), I think his chances die this year.

This is Morris’ last year on the ballot regardless- but yes, if he had a few more years he might have trouble getting in when compared with the guys who are at the beginning of their eligibility periods.

Maddux, Raines, Smith, Thomas.

I came close to selecting Morris but didn’t quite think he had the longevity. No to the roid users Sosa, McGwire, and Bonds.

His vote has been climbing every year, to almost-in last year. I’ll say peer pressure among voters puts him over the top this time, like it did for Rice and Blyleven. Biggio, Bagwell, Piazza, and Raines were over 50% last year, too.