2016 = 2008

So is it racist or isn’t it?

And using it indicates that you’re simply interested in needling the other side, not having an adult conversation. Why should anyone take an argument seriously if it can’t be made without being discourteous?

No question, it’s intended as a slur, and it’s obnoxiousness for no reason whatsoever.

But it’s about as vacuous a slur as one could come up with, in that it isn’t derogatory in any definable way. It’s more like when someone teased a kid in elementary school by twisting their name. IMHO, the best response to this particular piece of idiocy is to ignore it. From their POV, what’s the motivation for saying it if it doesn’t get a rise out of anyone?

Depends on the usage usually but if some old guy said it I would take it the same as “black person”. In the NAACP I take it as reflecting the age of the organization.

That’s because it was never meant to be derogatory. It’s Republicans being annoyed at the other party laying claim to democracy. It would be like if one of the parties was the Freedom party and it got shortened to Free party.

Of all the things the Democrats could be called, they get upset by simply being called Democrats?

The Democrats should get over themselves.

I filled out my absentee ballot when I saw the news clip where Biden didn’t recognize or wouldn’t admit what the definition of communism is. I had no intention of voting until that happened. I utterly despise Palin for being an unfit mother, and I am not fond of McCain for leaving his wife.

In October 2008 I was newly diagnosed with congestive heart failure and high blood pressure. After having gone 23 years without taking anything stronger than Nyquil or Tylenol PM I was being heavily medicated for my blood pressure. Every day was a bit of a blur. I may not have filled out my absentee ballot correctly.

Then why did she make an issue of the missing Michigan and Florida delegates at the convention? Why was the Convention’s roll call conducted when it was daytime on the East Coast when it had always been conducted for prime time TV before?

A Democrat, yes. Hilary, likely not.

It makes no difference to me. This country is too far gone to be salvaged.

Colored was used at least until the mid-1970s when I started grade school.

They’re not.

It’s no problem to describe an individual Democrat as “a Democrat,” just like you can call an individual Jew, “a Jew.” But it’s obnoxious, at best, and suggestive of bias, to call an organization they belong to “the American Jew Committee,” for example.

It would also be weird, distracting, and impolite to repeatedly refer to “the Republic party.”

Who then? Sanders polls at 2-20% among African-Americans. One we get out of the early obscene ALL-WHITE™ primaries, he’s doomed. Then it’s all Hillary. Two "l"s. Please learn how to spell the name of your next President.

It is? Who’s the blame for this? I’ll bet it was those evil Commies that Biden wouldn’t denounce.

Dunno about Republicans in general, but conservatives always seem to insist that the U.S. is not a democracy, it’s a republic. (Not sure why that makes a difference to them, but they do tend to talk to each other in code.)

Salvaged from . . . ?

You are assuming that blacks will turn out for Hilary in the primaries. There’re hints in recent press reports that blacks support Hilary, but they aren’t all that enthusiastic about her. All Sanders would need to do is come up with something free that he can promise blacks since free college and student debt reform do not resonate with them.

In no particular order:

Democrats
Republicans
libertarians
Baby Boomers
Wall Street
Hollywood
The news media

In a republic the majority isn’t always entitled to get its way because it is too easy for the majority to vote to destroy society.

Methinks you have little understanding of what black voters (or Democratic voters) actually believe and support, in general.

Ah, the old “free stuff” dog whistle.

IME, people who say that are not arguing but ranting. When they do mean anything with semantic content by it, usually what they actually mean is that the U.S. is a federal state, not a unitary state. Which makes no sense to put that way – France is a unitary state, Germany is a federal state, France is just as good a republic.

Sometimes they mean it’s a constitutional republic with checks and balances, but that could still be a “democracy.”

What the U.S. is, is a democratic republic – as distinct from, say, an aristocratic republic, like the old Roman Republic or Venetian Republic.

. . . Like, how?

Not, you may be sure, by way of the so-called “Tytler Cycle” – no democracy/republic in human history has ever self-destructed by way of the people voting themselves largesse from the treasury.