2020 is hindsight, lets rant about 2021 (January minirants)

I have an extremely minor rant that is just really deeply annoying today.

Yesterday, I was putting my child into the car to take her to daycare. As I leaned over to buckle her seat belt, I rammed my head right into the door frame of the car. I was confident I would miss it, obviously, so I did not hold back at all. And now I have a bruise on my forehead because I am stupid. And, like any time you bruise something, I keep finding that bruise regularly as I go about my day, apparently touching my forehead every five minutes. Gah, I’m such a doof.

I checked this seller’s feedback; turns out that the last time one of these sold, transit took ~10 weeks longer than estimated. So I should expect mine in early April.

That buyer also noted the seller’s lack of communication.

Until somebody invents time travel and goes back in time to arrange for the aspect ratio on screens (silver and television) to default to a vertical orientation, landscape will always be the correct way to hold a portable screen.

Sorry, Zuckerberg, you’re going to have to fix Facebook and make it display in the correct orientation on my phone.

(Or you could get a move on with that time travel thing.)

Dag_Otto, portrait mode is for things you’re going to hang on the wall.

John Finnemore does a great bit (on BBC4, so radio), where a famous painter is having trouble capturing a scene:

“The scenery is vast, but when I try to paint it, it is so narrow!”

“Oh, I see your problem. See here? You have your easel set to Portrait Mode… try it now.”

“Oh, thank you, it is so much better!”

“Landscape Mode… don’t forget!”

I fucking dropped the bluechew down her goddamned bathroom sink

Okay, how many here want to hear the beginning of John-Boy’s story?

(I’m raising my hand)

:raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:t3::raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:t3::raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:t3::raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:t3::raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:t3:

Not here. Not getting the reference to John-Boy (Walton???) and no idea what a bluechew is.

Guys, it wasn’t a game-ender, but I had to call an audible and the team satisfactorily responded.

Details tomorrow.

The argument about portrait/landscape reminds me of complaints about computer monitors - that the monitor always cut off part of a page from a standard size paper. (Like filling out a federal tax form…) Finally there were computer monitors made with a standard page aspect ratio. As I recall, they had a pivot and could be turned either way. Now I’ll have to see about getting a TV mount with a pivot.

No big rant, but since it is a new year with a new calendar: Why are prescriptions dispensed with a maximum of 90 pills? Hasn’t the pharmaceutical industry figured out how to count pills so they align with quarterly doctor visits?

Because I am second only to the cat in curiosity:
Bluechew
Sorry JohnT but you did share the TMI

Quick, remove the trap!!

So I emailed my council member about the dog and got a call from the shelter. The lady basically said that if she destroyed every dog that attacked another dog, she’d have to destroy most of the ones in the shelter. I said, yes, but this one killed two pets, not just attacked. She said she didn’t really believe the story about the cat. And gave me the impression she thinks my dog got killed because I missed the signs and didn’t carry pepper spray.

I hope it all works out. But if it doesn’t, I hope she finds out, I hope the animal comes back to the same shelter and she sees it.

Thanks for trying to help. I hope things work out. I’m sorry so many people involved in this seem to think you don’t know what you saw with your own eyes. Maddening. You did your best to get their attention.

Listening to the radio station playing A Day In The Life, it’s coming to an end, the orchestra is winding up and up and up, finally to end on…

Silence. They cut out the final piano chord.

Fuckers. Now I’m going to hear that song in my head for 3 days because you didn’t resolve the goddamned thing. :angry:

What? Who does that? Barbarians, say I!

My husband is eligible to get the Covid vax. So far it’s been a game of whack-a-mole to actually get an appointment for one. County says “Don’t call us, we’ll call you.” No appointments available through our health care provider. Neighbors told us there’s a clinic about 35 minutes north of us that has available appointments, but as of now they say “call again next week since we’re out of vax”. So - no luck yet.

What the ever-living fuck? You shouldn’t have to carry pepper spray to protect your dog! It was the owner’s responsibility to keep the dog under control! Who thinks that way?

Well, sure, and hopefully the owner will pay my bills (trying to get that done)

What’s relevant here is what happens to the dog. The city shelter adopted her out to a new family. I think they should have destroyed her. They are the ones making the argument that killing pets isn’t a deal breaker on placing an abandoned dog.

Oh, I agree. That’s why I asked, because she tried to make it your fault instead of the owner’s (and dog’s) fault. And implied you were lying. And I can’t believe they’re that … stupid.

Someone didn’t want to do the unfun part of their job, I guess. Personally, I’d alert the local newspaper.