2020 Prez hopefuls... your take or your candidates

The voting timeline makes me feel all futuristic because I did not think I would ever think beyond the usual cycle but errr… will Plump make it that long? (Trump’s reign) But I am still here now and Dump is still our President so… who will make a good candidate to run against him if he doesn’t get impeached?

(I really hope he gets impeached… but if he doesn’t we really, really need to get those grassroots growing now).

Right now I have not seen a single Democrat politician worth voting for or getting behind despite being a lifelong Democrat.

At this point, since Trump has been politicking and continuing to stump for his next election… every month since his election…

I vote for Burt Reynolds: he is not a politician, he is really old so only one cycle and he hits the good looking/“other”/male and funny movies spots and People know who he is.

" Years later, Reynolds stayed at Trump Tower in New York, assuming he was there as Trump’s guest. When he checked out, he realized that Trump expected him to pay his own bill. “I thought, ‘Well, that’s why he’s such a good business manager,'” Reynolds said with a grin. “Man, he gets his pound of flesh to pay for it.”"
I’ll write him in even if he doesn’t run.

Rep, Dem… one hopes that has nothing to do with:

Just love.

(The best part is Reynolds and Deluise were best friends over various movies).

So maybe Dolly as the VP? Since we are still not ready for a woman President (and she is not a Dem… but she has empathy).

OP, I suggest you request a forum change to Elections.

At a youthful 69 years old come 2020*, I could get behind Al Franken. He has smarts, name recognition, and notwithstanding his background as a political satirist (or maybe because of it), political gravitas.

Also, we need someone to beat Pence, even if the America-hating fuckstick doesn’t finish his term. Still Franken.

*Despite my tortured syntax, I mean that Franken will be a youthful 69 in 2020. I will be a more youthful 64. But I’d rather be a SDMB moderator than POTUS; and I’m on record as being unwilling to take on THAT job on a bet.

And you won’t.

Think 2024, because he’ll get elected for a second term.

Ah, what the hell, since this is in the Pit right now…

OP, why on God’s green earth would you think it is desirable to elect a celebrity with no background in politics, particularly after nine months of seeing firsthand what government by the clueless and inexperienced looks like? Politics is a profession like any other. It is complicated. Many of Trump’s failures can be traced, not only to his personal shortcomings, but to the fact that he doesn’t understand politics and government and therefore doesn’t know HOW to do most of the things presidents need to do. Electing an amateur celebrity as president is like expecting an actor who plays a doctor on TV to perform brain surgery. It does not turn out well.

Also, the one political lesson every Democrat should have learned from the last election cycle is: don’t be flaky. Show up at the polls. Vote for a candidate who has an actual chance of winning, regardless of whether you are in LOOOOVE with that candidate. Do not throw away votes on third parties or write-in candidates, except in the very rare case that one has run a serious, coordinated campaign that has an actual chance of winning. If you have a strong preference among the potential nominees, you should absolutely express that preference by voting and campaigning in the primary, but as soon as the general election rolls around, you need to get behind whatever candidate is not named Donald Trump.

You know what just happened in Virginia? That’s what happens when people aren’t flaky. People showed up. They ran for office. They did all the hard, unsexy work of phone banking and knocking on doors to make sure other people showed up. The candidate who lost the Democratic primary campaigned his heart out for the guy who won, and the people who voted for him in the primary followed his lead. That’s what professionalism looks like. Democrats need to learn how to be goddamn professionals.

You say that as though you think it would be a good thing.

He does think it’s a good thing. Something about libtard tears.
Notice his total inability to actually discuss and explain.
Maybe he could take a photograph.

Aaaaaaannnnd THAT’S why he’ll never be dethroned as the stupidest poster on the Dope.

So as there is not a good track record of Senators being elected to President. Who are the leading Democrat Governors to run against Rump?

There are only 15 Dem Governors, WTF?
California Jerry Brown January 3 2011 2019 (term limits)
Colorado John Hickenlooper January 11 2011 2019 (term limits)
Connecticut Dan Malloy January 5 2011 2019 (retiring)
Delaware John Carney January 17 2017 2021
Hawaii David Ige December 1 2014 2018
Louisiana John Bel Edwards January 11 2016 2020
Minnesota Mark Dayton January 3 2011 2019 (retiring)
Montana Steve Bullock January 7 2013 2021 (term limits)
New York Andrew Cuomo January 1 2011 2019
North Carolina Roy Cooper January 1 2017 2021
Oregon Kate Brown February 18 2015 2019
Pennsylvania Tom Wolf January 20 2015 2019
Rhode Island Gina Raimondo January 6 2015 2019
Virginia Terry McAuliffe January 11 2014 2018 (term limits)
Washington Jay Inslee January 16 2013 2021

Let me try that again please:

Governor[COLOR=White]. . . . . . . . . State . . [/COLOR]*Started . . . .[COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=white] . [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=#3333FF][FONT=&quot][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=white] . [/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR] .[/COLOR]Departing
[COLOR=blue]Jerry Brown . . . . .[/COLOR][COLOR=#3333FF]California [/COLOR][COLOR=#3333FF][FONT=&quot][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=white] .[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#3333FF][FONT=&quot][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=white][COLOR=#3333FF][FONT=&quot][URL=“https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connecticut”][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=white] . [/COLOR][/COLOR] [/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR] [/FONT][/COLOR]January 3 2011 2019 (term limits)
[COLOR=blue]John Hickenlooper[/COLOR][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=white] . Colorado[/COLOR] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#3333FF][FONT=&quot][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=white] .[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#3333FF][FONT=&quot][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=white][COLOR=#3333FF][FONT=&quot][URL=“https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connecticut”][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=white] . [/COLOR][/COLOR] [/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]January 11 2011 [/FONT][/COLOR]2019 (term limits)
[COLOR=blue]Dan Malloy [/COLOR][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=white]. . . . . . Connecticut[/COLOR] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=white]. January 5 2011 [/COLOR]2019 (retiring)
[COLOR=blue]John Carney [/COLOR][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=white]. . . . . Delaware[/COLOR] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#3333FF][FONT=&quot][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=white] . [/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#3333FF][FONT=&quot][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=white] . [/COLOR][/COLOR]January 17 2017 [/FONT][/COLOR]2021
[COLOR=blue]David Ige [/COLOR]. . . . . . . [COLOR=#3333FF]Hawaii[/COLOR][COLOR=#3333FF][FONT=&quot][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=white] . [/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#3333FF][FONT=&quot][COLOR=#3333FF][FONT=&quot][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=white] .[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#3333FF][FONT=&quot][COLOR=#3333FF][FONT=&quot][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=white][COLOR=#3333FF][FONT=&quot][URL=“https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connecticut”][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=white] . [/COLOR][/COLOR] [/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR] [/FONT][/COLOR]December 1 2014 2018
[COLOR=blue]John Bel Edwards . [/COLOR][COLOR=#3333FF]Louisiana [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#3333FF][FONT=&quot][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=white] .[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#3333FF][FONT=&quot][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=white][COLOR=#3333FF][FONT=&quot][URL=“https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connecticut”][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=white] . [/COLOR][/COLOR] [/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]January 11 2016 [/FONT][/COLOR]*2020
[COLOR=blue]Mark Dayton . . . . . [/COLOR][COLOR=#3333FF]Minnesota[/COLOR][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=#3333FF][FONT=&quot][URL=“https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connecticut”][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=white] . [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] [/FONT][/COLOR]*January 3 2011 2019 (retiring)
[COLOR=blue]Steve Bullock . . . . [/COLOR][COLOR=#3333FF]Montana [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#3333FF][FONT=&quot][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=white] [/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#3333FF][FONT=&quot][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=white][COLOR=#3333FF][FONT=&quot][URL=“https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connecticut”][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=white] . [/COLOR][/COLOR]. [/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]January 7 2013 [/FONT][/COLOR]2021 (term limits)
[COLOR=blue]Andrew Cuomo . . . [/COLOR][COLOR=#3333FF]New York [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#3333FF][FONT=&quot][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=white] [/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#3333FF][FONT=&quot][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=white][COLOR=#3333FF][FONT=&quot][URL=“https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connecticut”][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=white] . [/COLOR][/COLOR]. [/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]January 1 2011 [/FONT][/COLOR]2019
[COLOR=blue]Roy Cooper . . . . . .[/COLOR][COLOR=#3333FF]North Carolina [/COLOR]January 1 2017 2021
[COLOR=blue]Kate Brown[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][FONT=&quot][COLOR=white] . . . . . [/COLOR]
[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#3333FF]Oregon [/COLOR][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=white] . [/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=white] .[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=white][COLOR=#3333FF][FONT=&quot][URL=“https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connecticut”][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=white] . [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=white][COLOR=#3333FF][FONT=&quot][URL=“https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connecticut”][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=white][COLOR=#3333FF][FONT=&quot][URL=“https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connecticut”][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=white] . [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR] [/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]February 18 2015 2019
[COLOR=blue]Tom Wolf [/COLOR][COLOR=#3333FF]**[COLOR=blue][FONT=&quot][COLOR=white] . . . … . . .[/COLOR]**Pennsylvania[/COLOR] [/FONT][/COLOR]January 20 2015 2019
[COLOR=blue]Gina Raimondo [/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][FONT=&quot][COLOR=white] . … .[/COLOR]
[/FONT][/COLOR]**[COLOR=#3333FF]Rhode Island [/COLOR]January 6 2015 2019
**[COLOR=blue]Terry McAuliffe[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][COLOR=blue][FONT=&quot][COLOR=white] . . .[/COLOR][/COLOR] [/FONT][/COLOR]**[COLOR=#3333FF]Virginia [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#3333FF][FONT=&quot][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=white] . [/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#3333FF][FONT=&quot][COLOR=#3333FF][FONT=&quot][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=white] . [/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#3333FF][FONT=&quot][COLOR=#3333FF][FONT=&quot][COLOR=#3333FF][FONT=&quot][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=white] . [/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]January 11 2014 [/FONT][/COLOR]2018 (term limits)
[COLOR=blue]Jay Inslee [/COLOR][COLOR=#3333FF]**[COLOR=blue][FONT=&quot][COLOR=white] . . . . . … [/COLOR]**Washington[/COLOR] [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#3333FF][FONT=&quot][COLOR=#3333FF][COLOR=white] . [/COLOR][/COLOR]January 16 2013 [/FONT][/COLOR]*2021

I think Al Franken is our best bet, as the Man Most Likely To Make Donald Trump Lose His Shit On Camera. I would enthusiastically vote for Franken.

I’m also somewhat interested in Biden & Bernie, although they are past their freshness date. Ditto Elizabeth Warren. And Jerry Brown.

I would like to hear more noise from Kamala Harris, Ted Lieu, Cory Booker & John Hickenlooper.

I’m unenthused about Tim Kaine, Terry McCauliffe & Andrew Cuomo, but I’d hear what they have to say.

I wish Maxine Waters could run.

It’s way too early, though. Those are just names off the top of my head.

She’s from San Francisco. Is there anything else you’d like hear about her?

I hope the Dems aren’t naive* enough to run a SAN FRANCISCO LIBERAL in the next presidential election. A good southerner, midwesterner or even a Westerner (thought not West Coaster) would do nicely, please.

*That’s the nicest word I could think of in the context.

I think the Dems should stop trying to win over morons from the South, Midwest or anywhere else by running away from their progressive base, some of whom live in spoooOOOooooky places like San Francisco. Anyone who clutches their pearls at the thought of a SAN FRANCISCO LIBERAL can squat in their own dung alongside the rest of the Party of Stupid.

Democrats can win if they stop chasing the Clintonian playbook of appealing to moderate Republicans (of which there aren’t any, any more) and make an effort to engage and encourage their most enthusiastic liberal supporters.

Michelle Obama?

Another first lady? Why?

This is a seriously weird idea I see pop up. She has far less experience than HRC, though at least she is more likeable and trustworthy.

You misspelled “deplorables”. Like it or not, SF does not play well in Peoria.

False dichotomy. The Dems need to appeal to moderate Democrats and Independents. Kamala Harris is a newly elected Senator who will have not even served one term in federal office in 2020 (she’ll be 2 years in when the campaign begins). And don’t remind us of Obama. I knew Obama. Obama was a friend of mine. Harris is no Obama.

Well, that was sort of my point: Hillary Clinton was, as you said, not really all that great in the “likeable and trustworthy” department – and she lost, as you said, to somebody who had “far less experience than HRC”. So why not Michelle?

Forget about the bazillions of reasons it’s not a good idea, why would she even want to run?

I’m guessing – and I’m open to being corrected, but I think I’m right – that she’d poll better than any other prominent Democrat you could name. And if I am right about that, then I’m guessing she’d want to run because the alternative is putting someone with worse odds up against Trump or Pence in 2020; and I’m guessing she’d prefer a world where someone with better odds takes a run at it.

I guess I’m desperately hoping the Dems can find a truly good candidate. Someone who has skills, charisma and experience. Someone who can ensure that Rump is a 1 term mistake President. I’m afraid the likes of Warren can find a way to lose to him.

Why the strong dislike of Cuomo by Liberals anyway. He seems pretty solid to me living one state below NY. Or am I misinterpreting apathy?