2021-22 Ski Thread - First Chair to Last Call

Google Photos

We’re past the summer solstice, so it’s time for the annual ski thread. We bought our Indy Pass last week, and are looking to get an Epic Local to go with it. The only major trip planned is out to Utah during school vacation week. We’ll be able to stay with my sister and BIL at Park City the second half of the week, the first have we plan to use the Indy Pass at Powder Mountain and Beaver Mountain.

After a lousy 2020-21 season we’re going all in for 21-22. The Indy Pass will let us get to Cannon, WV, Pats Peak, and Berkshire East for quick day trips, getting the vertical we need to build our legs back up. We’ll also plan our annual weekend to Jay. And with the Epic Local we can hit Sunapee and Stowe and not have to worry if we’re only up for 3-4 hours on snow.

Picture is my wife ripping it up on the last run of the day at Kicking Horse.

So, what are your plans for the coming season?

Very uncertain. We were away for Xmas/New Year 2019/20 but nothing last year. As it stands we have bookings for Austria for the same two weeks but travel restrictions currently in place make that very uncertain indeed.

I can’t wait to get back.

Weekday pass at Bridger Bowl, adding a ski rack to the Timbersled, week of Heli at Crescent Spur in BC first week of March with buds. Our new house is finished 5 miles from Bridger—come visit!

Might as well ask here. The majority of my gear is backcountry oriented and two years ago I bought my first dedicated pair of lift skis - Head Supershapes of some sort. I love them in the east, they’re wicked solid on groomers and hardpack, but also very turny in the trees. They’re around 80mm underfoot, so not an ideal western ski.

I’m in the market for a powder ski, around 110mm underfoot, but a frontside ski, not backcountry. I have backcountry powder boards and they’re too light and too long for use inbounds. Any thoughts? I’ve started looking at the powder ski reviews, and asking for recommendations since I’ll probably have to buy them without riding them.

A few years back when I still lived in Park City the Rosignol Soul 7 was the powder ski to have, well at least a lot of my friends had them for powder days and loved them.
As I have lived in a swamp for a few years I am out of contact on the latest, but I would think they still hold up, although I still have a pair of Salomon XScreams for rock skis so I am not always there for the new and shiney stuff.

My plans this year hmmm cash is a little tight so may not make it to PC this year, but my daughter is starting at Northern Arizona in Flagstaff so I may go visit and see about Snowbowl and drop by Taos on the way there or back.
Anyone ever been to Snowbowl in Az?

We bought our passes at Mt. Bachelor, and 8 days of weekly lessons for our 5-year-old.

I’m looking to buy some skate skis for cross country if anyone has recommendations.

Went ahead with the Epic Tahoe area pass again. Hoping for a better season than last as well. Part of the problem was overall conditions and crowding, and the other problem was my head was just not in the game last season. I should be better by the time the snow starts falling.

I’ll get a pass, for sure. Hope to use it more this season. Might skip getting one for the kid. He didn’t even break even last season. :frowning_face:

Really hoping for good snow, but I got my doubts…

Epic Local Pass purchased.

Feb trip to Park City confirmed. Now looking for what ski areas are open after April 15 that are on the Epic pass. I think we’re limited to Breckenridge and Whistler (with a side trip to Stevens Pass)

Did you find a pow pow ski?

Not yet, but we’re in the middle of moving so it’ll probably have to wait until we’re settled in to our new place next month. The Epic Pass had a deadline before the rates went up so that couldn’t wait. :slight_smile:

Still looking at reviews, and there are still good deals on last year’s models.

Oh, Shit. I better get mine before the prices jump. Been ignoring it, what with all the fires and general bullshit.

Announced today: Squaw Valley to change name to Palisades Tahoe.

About time. There’s the usual ranting about succumbing to political correctness online, but it’s a step forward. I’m OK with the name, although it’s a bit bland. The logo isn’t great.

We just reserved our Indy Pass tickets at Powder Mountain UT for February, now to get flights and lodging.

Looks like we can add a day at Snowbasin (Epic) to our UT trip.

Ski areas are beginning to open. Anyone been on snow yet?

Alas I think I am scuppered for this year .

I remember Snowbasin always being super cold and windy, but a good lift system.

Powder mountain is great when in condition but it has a few chock points on the lifts , but great terrain .
The cat skiing they do there is fun, but a bit of a wait.

Thanks for starting this season’s thread, @Telemark! Not sure how I missed it before.

Anyway, I actually had a great ski season last year, probably because it felt like one of the few activities I could safely do during the pandemic. One downside was that I didn’t do any fly-away trips, and probably won’t do any this year, either.

I do have my Epic Pass in hand (with their awesome military veteran discount), and my son has a full Epic Pass as well thanks to receiving a generous credit from last season. (My son was not enthusiastic about booting up in the car instead of a ski lodge.) I have heard rumors that between credits and reducing the price of their passes that Vail sold a lot of passes this year, so I hope the Epic resorts aren’t too crowded.

I do have a couple of ski trips planned for Sugarloaf and Sunday River in Maine through my ski club. These aren’t on the Epic Pass, but they’ve arranged for some great group discounts on lodging and lift tickets. I will also likely do some day trips or short overnight trips.

Very little snow here in MT (and most of the West). Canada’s getting pummelled which bodes well for the Heli trip. Big Sky will probably open on time with man-made snow. It hasn’t really been cold enough for Bridger to blow snow. At least we can still ride dirt while we wait…

Overly optimistic opening dates around here have been cancelled/postponed. Dry as a Popcorn Fart around here lately. Fairly cold, but they can only make so much.