21 Dead at Elementary School W of San Antonio, TX {May 24, 2022}

Up to 15 now (14 students plus a teacher). The number is adjusted as they learn more

ETA: some of that is coming from the hospitals - several of the victims were seriously injured and succumbed while undergoing emergency treatment

I stand corrected, I guess they do have some judicial responsibilities.

Not that any of this matters to fourteen dead kids who will never learn what a County Judge is. I just feel hollow right now.

Yeah. Amen.

My ‘correction’ wasn’t necessary. Maybe like others, I feel so damned useless and so gutted that we’re doing this whole thing yet again.

I hear you, man.

But not for serious crime. What raised my eyebrows was the potential that the same person might be responsible for overseeing the emergency response, and then later impartially presiding over the trial of the perpetrator.

Jeez. Any idea how old the kids were? Simply devastating. While I obviously feel for the families, how about the kids who witnessed it all and survived, and how they’ll fare the rest of their lives?

He killed his grandmother first. I don’t know if she’s included in the numbers.

The elementary school apparently had 2-4 graders, so anywhere from 7 to 10 years old presumably. I don’t think anybody of any age gets over this, but, yeah, this is going to follow the kids around the rest of their lives.

Wasn’t in the 15, which was 14 kids plus the teacher, so that’s an additional victim

When are they going to well- regulate the fucking militia?

I did not know it was an elementary school. This is awful.

This is sounding more like the sandy hook shooting. Killing a relative, then young school children.

I just heard on NBC News that the first 911 call came from a man who had just dropped off flowers for his wife, who is retiring at the end of the school year. (Neither were injured.)

I’m actually a bit surprised that it’s a national news story, because Uvalde is about 75% Hispanic and heavily poverty stricken.

CNN interviewed a TX state senator.

The senator quoted the TX Rangers:

• 18 children dead
  • 3 adults dead

Is that solid ? We’ll find out …

I was under the impression that most public grade schools are restricted or semi-restricted access these days, precisely to prevent this sort of thing. Is that not correct?

I don’t know about most. Some are and some aren’t. In my own neighborhood, I know of one elementary school entirely contained in a fence, and another a few blocks away that is wide open.

It’s 14 dead kids (at least) and a major school shooting. Why wouldn’t it make national news? It feeds into the gun debate and, well, to be perfectly honest, is sensational and sells. I didn’t even know the socioeconomic makeup of the area or victims until your post.

The state police have updated to 18 kids, plus one teacher. If you include the gunman and his grandmother, that’s 3 adults dead.

The Houston Chronicle is now reporting 21 dead. It is not clear if they are counting the killer in that tally.

What a bizarre thing to say??!!??

You mean that you’ve never heard of “missing white girl” syndrome? It’s a proven fact that the media is more likely to cover bad things that happen to white, middle- or upper-class people than to poor minorities.