21 Dead at Elementary School W of San Antonio, TX {May 24, 2022}

14 (+ the shooter) … so far:

It’s starting to look like guns might be at least part of the problem.

:frowning:

just stunning. i walked away to get prepped to leave work and it went from 2 dead to 14 dead in 4 minutes.

stunning.

I just got home from work, and I swear they said on the radio 14 shot, and two killed. Now I’m hearing it’s 14 dead kids.
Only in America. Really, only here.

Well, we all know the routine and song and dance that’s going to follow. It follows a well known script.

“Your dead kids don’t trump my constitutional rights.” - Joe the Plumber

Can we just refer to the 2nd amendment as the right to murder? That’s all it’s doing.

a very quick presser. these facts were given 11:32am active shooter was called in. the school is 2-4th grade. lone suspect dead. some victims are in hospital being treated.

Not my forum, but this is getting political mighty fast for a Breaking News story.

A Political thread started here:

He probably didn’t even break a law in Texas until he pulled the trigger. By which time it was far too late.

From the OP’s link

Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff said the county was also sending help to the grief-stricken community. "Bexar County is sending personnel and material from the Office of Emergency Management, the Medical Examiner’s Office, the Sheriff’s Office, and University Hospital to support the ongoing operation,” Wolff said.

Why would a judge be speaking to the press about this? It sounds like a judge is in some kind of senior administrative role here. Isn’t that kind of strange?

Another school shooting? Ho hum, must be Tuesday.

That’s Texas. I think this judge is essentially a County Commissioner, not a judge in a court judge. Like LA uses “parishes” instead of “counties”.

In Texas “County Judge” is just the title for the county’s chief elected officer. It’s not a judicial position.

Ah, thanks.

SOURCE

Moderating:

This IS my forum. I suspect the OP intended this as an opinion piece, not as a breaking news thread, having opened by saying

However, that thread belongs in IMHO, or the Pit. This, sadly, looks like it is ALSO a breaking news thread.

I urge y’all to start a companion IMHO (or pit) thread for the politics, and leave this one as breaking news.

FWIW, Bexar County is where San Antonio is located, which is the nearest major metropolitan area (two counties to the east of Uvalde County).

I was unclear about where the breaking news threads properly lived. I’m okay with keeping it here and keeping it apolitical and would be grateful if you’d depoliticize my OP by deleting my last comment.

Thx.

Okay, I’ll add a staff note. This can be the breaking news thread, and I encourage people who want to talk about how this is related to guns to start a new thread elsehwere.

I think I clicked on a story as it was updating; headline implied two killed but the story stated 14. Ummm, which is it? Sadly, it now looks like the higher number.