.22 target.

I have a spinner target for my .22. It’s made of steel and is powder coated black and has some orange stickers on it.
These stickers will not last long and I’m going to paint it. Does anyone have any ideas on which paint would be best?
I haven’t used it yet.

Repainting steel is a continuous process. Just buy medium quality and plan on respraying every time it looks bad. At our range the members bring paint and spray as needed.

Baked on or electroplated powder coat. As long as you keep missing, it’ll last forever. or at least long enough.

Cheapo Wal-Mart spray paint. What ever it gets on will never be the same, will not come off. Until you shoot it off. Repaint, rinse and repeat.

Sand the thing real good, coat of good quality primer formulated for the metal … and use auto paint … let it sit a couple of months … and keep missing …

I’m actually surprised that there are stickers on it. I haven’t seen any stickers or paint that would stand up to a .22 (as long as you hit it). I like to use NECCO wafers on my steel targets. Put a dab of cheap honey on the back of a wafer and stick it to the target. (The plastic squeeze dispensers with the spout make this easy.) The wafers stay there for quite some time and they make a satisfying SPLAT when you hit them. A damp cloth will wipe it all off. A pack of wafers will last a long time and they are dirt cheap (when you can find them). They are also environmentally-friendly.

No sticker, and no paint, can survive the impact of a bullet fired from a gun. As suggested by others, buy some cans of cheap spray paint and apply as needed. I like to use fluorescent paint.

LIne-X. Their video shows it making a car door resistant to a shotgun blast (birdshot). Although it is not a bullet proof as they claim. But it looks cool and will outlast anything else.

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/just-how-bulletproof-is-line-x/

Dennis

There is no paint or “finish” that will withstand the impact of a .22 round on a spinner, much less anything else more powerful. If you must have something eye-catching when you shoot, I suggest the cheapest fluorescent spray available. Apply when you feel necessary.

Finally! A good use for NECCO wafers!

I usually bring a couple rolls of SweeTart candies and use them for my 50 yard targets. NECCOS might be small enough to be sporting at 100.

I used to use burned-out vacuum tubes as pellet gun targets. This should give you some idea as to how ancient I am…

That’s what I was going to say - cheap and bright (or dark, depending on what you’re looking for).

I once tried to destroy an old TV with my 5mm Sheridan. The TV screen wasn’t happy about it, but I came closer to putting my eye out with a ricochet than to breaking the picture tube from the front. I seem to remember you could make flash cubes go off with a bb or pellet gun.

Wow, so a thread that is right up in my wheelhouse…my expertise is in adhesives, coatings and potting compounds for large OEM items, including power transformers, large and medium generators, wind energy, transportation, etc…we deal with IEEE, ASTM, ISO, IEC, many more specific OEM specifications, we can test coating systems for a multitude of conditions, accelerated aging, corrosion, weathering, etc, we test our adhesives for lap shear strength under multiple conditions, we make our own polymers and define them by Tg, MW, and functionality

The funny part (well, to me) is the answers provided are the correct ones, buy the cheapest stuff possible and paint it as needed…

This reminds me of a meeting I was able to score with a large Canadian manufacturer of logging equipment, they used gobs of paint (that’s a technical term), I gave a well-reasoned, comprehensive technical discussion of all the possible combinations that we could offer, pointing out that we offered coating systems that survived 25+ years in rigorous conditions…the room was quiet, and finally, the technical director spoke, he said, “We use the cheapest water-based paint possible, once it leaves our factory, the painted surfaces get rubbed off by the trees within days, after that, the constant abrasion on the steel surfaces prevents rust…”

I said, “Oh, that makes sense…um…never mind…”

Years and years ago, what we would do is straighten out a standard steel coat hanger, stick one end in the ground and put the other end in a empty aluminum or steel can. You can see the can jump when it is hit, but it basically stays put. Just replace the cans as needed.

I shoot steel nearly daily. I’ve found that the cheap .99 cents a can Wal-Mart paint works great. I’ve also found that lighter colored paint seems to show hits better.

At my club we generally use white, sometimes long distance steel is sprayed red along the edges for better visibility.

Brilliant. We used to hang cans with fishing line. Teaches you how to hit a moving target. :slight_smile: