24: Season 5: Episodes 3-4 (9:00am - 11:00am)

So main terrorist-guy gives the key card to sleeper hostage-guy, but where did main terrorist-guy get it in the first place?

He sent one of his men to find Chevensky (who, of course, had been Bauerized) and took it off his body.

Yeah, I thought that was some sort of signal, too – when the terrorist leader made Jack make that first call, I was trying to watch for something that might be a signal that all was not fresh smelling in Denmark. “Flank 2” was the most likely bit. Good thing the hobbit caught that it was an old code.

I just couldn’t help myself…

I went to see a movie today and there was a PSA before the show with a bunch of celebs in it. The last one was Kiefer. After he said " log on to whatever.com" I blurted out “OR MILLIONS OF PEOPLE WILL DIE!!”

I got a few giggles.

He reminds me more of Clinton—more worried about his “legacy” than the people about to die.

Yep, came from Chevinsky. And also, it appears that only the terrorist leader knew about the sleeper hostage, as his henchmen tried to pick him for one of the random executions. Of course, if they had to carry out their threat to blow everybody up, how would terrorist leader been able to ensure that the sleeper didn’t get taken out?

Well, I don’t think it was JUST a diversion, but obviously there has to be more to the terror plot than just stopping the treaty being signed, or else this episode would have to be called “4”… I think that the baddies actually thought they could make the Prez cave in. Although I’m sure stopping him from signing the piece of paper at that moment is kind of worthless, because he could just recant it for now, then sign it next week. I think that bit was more to make the Prez look weak and powerless – either by making him cave on the treaty, or by signing the treaty, resulting in the death of a bunch of hostages – kind of a bad way to begin an “Anti-Terror Treaty”.

Maybe they expected him to sign the treaty, then make the day a bloodbath of terror attacks in response…

Hours 9-11am not as shocking or interesting as hours 7-9am. . . until the evil cannisters were revealed.

I kind of like the Hobbit. It’s about time CTU had somebody in charge who had half a brain. Until now only Chloe and Edgar seemed to know anything about anything.

I’m up for next week!

This Chloe scene, BTW, was priceless:

Edgar: You okay?
Chloe: Thanks for asking, Edgar…
she throws a glance at Spencer
Buchanan:: Chloe… You managed to rack up four protocol violations.
Chloe: Well, it’s a lot worse than that if you count agency dot(?) codes, it’s more like 26 violations… You want me to figure out whose face that is? Or I could just go wait in holding…

Yeah, I loved that exchange as well. I’m so happy we get more Chloe this season. Pam from The Office is going to have to compete with my TV crush from last season, now that Chloe’s back!

Anybody else expect Jack to look at his watch and say, “Wow. That got done sooner than usual.”

“Okay, hostage crisis solved. Can I please finish my breakfast, now?”

Loving the show, but they could really let some things happen at the not-last-second once in a while. When every single crisis is diverted with 0:00.0001 seconds to spare it gets a little silly. This episode would have been just as effective had the “flank 2” message been immediately recognized by the others at CTU. Are we really supposed to believe that an agency like that wouldn’t have a distress code?

Well, they did say that there are distress codes, but Flank 2 wasn’t picked up because it’s out of date, and Jack didn’t know the current code because he’s been spending the year dead for tax reasons.

From the way they described it, it sounded like they were passing the transcripts of the conversations through a comptuer filter to pick out any codes like this. That seems a bit weird, but it’s 24 so I’m cool with it :slight_smile:

In which case the reasonable response back at CTU would have been, “Flank 2? What the hell does that mean?” :smiley:

I’m with ya though. Any other show would lose major points. 24 gets a pass for the rest of the awesomeness I know is coming. :wink:

Buchanan: Oh, he said a “flank two” position… I thought he had said a “flank too” position. This changes everything.

I was kind of disappointed Apple didn’t go with, “buy a new iMac with Intel processor … OR MILLIONS OF PEOPLE WILL DIE!”

Agreed on the flank 2 thing, and I kept saying “Does it not occur to anyone that Jack may be making these calls while under duress?”

And why is there a bio-hazard crate at the airport?

I was getting worried for a second. I kept thinking “If that’s the Frozen Body of Nina Meyers(River Tam style), I’m leaving”.

That’s how much last season has put me on edge about this season.

When the Terrorists were talking abotu Logan backing down, I said “HA! The jokes on you. Logan only cares about HIS IMAGE and HIS DAY! If 60 people have to die for that treaty signing to happen, it’ll happen”.

Imagine my disappointment when Logan actually began wondering if he should sign or not.

So basically, Logan can be counted on to either pussy out or over react to any given situation, depending on what the wrong response would be. I want to know how the hell he became Keeler’s VP(because Keeler seemed pretty competent).

What does the presidential mole plan to do next, keep letting people think that Mrs. Logan is crazy?

"Someone attacked you eh :dubious: … are you sure it wasn’t a matter of national security? :smiley: "

Probably so. I think he was careful to chloroform her from behind and keep out of her sight, so she wouldn’t know who attacked her, after the fact. She’ll only know that her Cleavidence was missing.

(that would be “Cleavage Evidence”, in case that wasn’t clear…) :wink: