3,360 feet is not high altitude

The last time I was in the mountains with a Scotsman, he tried to toss me off a moving ski lift. Methinks that if one were to remove Scotsmen from mountains, then the mountains would be safer.

**OH NO!!! IT’S A **KAMIKAZE SCOTSMAN!

b.

This is my kinda fucking Pit thread!!!

YA FUCKS

Slip into a kilt and hand a couple of beers around, and we’ll argue about the obvious superiority of high latitude vs. high altitude.

All of which is moot, as I’ve already discussed, because most of you unwashed heathen don’t have your windows oriented properly.

b.

That’s just a kilt, by the way.

Shit, and here I just had my house rotated so that the dining room faced magnetic north.

Begone, vile heathen! Only those with windows pointing TRUE north can enter the kindom of the Great Wisconinite Marmoset!

b.

My height’s better than your height
My height’s better than yours
My height’s better 'cus I’m drunk and I have friends from Wisconin
My height’s better than yours.

I think I’m being sucked into the void…

[sub]help![/sub]

Perhaps you ain’t seen nothing yet, but you’re about to.

Here’s a pic of that Scotsman who tried to pitch me off the lift. Yes, he is wearing a kilt as a kilt should be worn. Yes, he is upside down. Yes, he is in the air. Yes, he is wearing free-heel skinny skies. Yes, he landed the full layout back flip over the shed in full regalia. Like I say, the mountains would be safer without flying Scotsmen.

HA! I still win, because I live in WISCONSIN and the declination from true north is…
(drumroll please…)

0 degrees!

Woe to all of you magnetic-declination-havers. I feel sorry for you. I’ve never known anyone from a state more than 5 deg. from true north that was able to eat more shellfish than us no-magnetic-declination-havers.

Poor fool. Everyone knows that all of illinois, many of the southern states, and most of Wisconson and Michigan were once just known as the Indiana Territories. We’re just letting you live under the delusion that you get to have your “own” state. Eventually, we’ll be taking all that territory back, and declaring the soverign state of Indiana. Just as soon as we can figure out how to plow it all under and make it as flat as Kansas.

And get with the program, it’s Wisconin. Wisconsin is a state, whereas Wisconin appears to be a state of mind, to Techchick.

b.

Latitude? You guys want latitude?

Try growing up in Fairbanks Alaska. You Minnesotans and Scotsmen are just in some deep denial if you think that your latitude even compares to OUR latitude.

I hereby declare myself “farthest north doper”. Even if I am in Seattle right now…

Well, to address the OP, if I may: :rolleyes:

Assuming that the sportcasters on the ski show were from Hollywood, meaning Los Angeles, which thrusts itself into the troposphere all of 297 feet above sea level, 3,360 feet probably WAS nosebleed height. :smiley:

Now, don’t blame the Hollywood types. They know better. Skiers in the LA area often visit Big Bear, which (according to its web site) has am “OK” altitude of 6,743. And a lot of S. Cal is surrounded by mountains. A hour or two drive, we are in the mountains. A lot of S. California residents live in the foothills, anyway. I grew up in the foothills, altitude about 3,000 feet (and I never considered that “high altitude”).

I have never (as far as I can remember) experienced any difficulty with altitude. I go up to Yosemite’s Tuolumne Meadows (8,000 feet) and it’s no big deal. Same when I visit Colorado.

This is a strange rant, anyway…

Fairbanks is at 64deg 49min. Seattle is at 47deg 37 min.

Split the dif and let’s give you 55 and a half, which, by amazing coincidence puts you in line with Edinburgh.

Meanwhile, the Minnesotans can plop the whole of Scotland down in Lake Superior, and still leave a moat around it once the waves settle.

And of course all of the Minnesota shoreline of Superior is south of me at the lakehead, so neener neener neener!

But sadly, despite such superior latitude, the lack of elevation hereabouts means that it will be another three months until ski season. Please excuse me while I go outside and smack my head with a board.

Y’know, this is going to turn out to have been really lame if someone runs across a re-run of the show techchick68 watched and discovers they really said 3,630 meters. :wink:

Nope. Try again, Lemur. :stuck_out_tongue:
tisiphone is in Whitehorse, Yukon. We have a doper (whose name escapes me at the moment) in Iqaluit, Nunavut. I lived for many years in Yellowknife, NT, and spent a lot of time further north in Inuvik, NT. A lot.

techchick, I now am living on a mountain. Am I high up enough to be your friend?

Muffin, come ski here. There was fresh snow on the peaks in Lake Louise on Friday. Secret Canadian Orgy Dopefest! Don’t tell the Americans!

I kid you not. The Americans are already proposing heading to Louise for a Dopefest in February.

Way too much work for me to hold down to get away for a quick ski (I moved firms, so I’ll be clearing cases for the next year – free weekends and free cash are scarce). But it sure is tempting. I have not put away my skis from last season, my ski togs are still hanging in the hall, and my sharpening and waxing table is still set up, so I guess either I’m having difficulty accepting that ski season is over, or I’m over-anticipating next season.

When I relocated here, I made a deliberate trade off of a couple of months of winter for Lake Superior paddling. As much as I whine about missing the snow, if I were elsewhere, I would whine about missing the big Gitchigumee. There are some world class diversions hereabouts in the summer. Superior is in a league of its own for paddling: crystal clear fresh water, seemingly endless expanse, rugged coastlines, remote islands, and almost no people. If the weather holds for the long weekend, I’ll paddle on Superior from Jarvis Bay out to Victoria Island, spread out under the hot sun and cool wind on the warm cobble beach, and watch the waves rolling in while waiting for those Minnisotan’s to drop Scotland into the lake in front of me. Oh but life is so good!