32 bit software in Win-7

I have used ubasic for many years and it is a fine replacement for GW-Basic. But now when I try to run it in my new Win-7 computer, I get an error message from the OS that this is 16 (or, in a later version, 32) bit software and I should contact my vendor (hah!) for a 64 bit version. It runs in a command window, by the way. Is there any way around this?

your best option is to run it in a virtual machine. 64-bit Windows cannot directly run 16-bit code anymore because support for doing so was removed by AMD when they devised the x86-64 architecture.

Was having the same problem with a program (Ami Pro) running under Win 7 64 bit.

I upgraded to Win 7 pro (or something like that), which allowed me to run XP mode and Ami Pro runs fine under that.

I had to do the same thing so that I could continue to maintain some programs with an old FORTRAN compiler that we used at work. Runs just fine.

Sigh. Ok, I will upgrade. I will be visiting my son, a Microserf, in a couple weeks and will get an upgrade at the employee store. Save me some money, anyway.

You can also use VMware Player or VirtualBox to run XP. Both are free, but you’d need an installable copy of XP.

I’m confused. Win7 64-bit can run 32-bit code. Why would it be returning errors?

I’ve got a similar problem with QuickBasic. I have a plethora of old QB programs that are going to take months to convert.

I’ve installed W7. I’ve got XP mode up and running. I just can’t figure out how to get (for example) drive C on my Window-7 machine to be accessible on my XP-Mode machine. I see things like making drive C a mapped-network-drive, but I can’t find specific XP-Mode instructions for making it happen.

Anyone have a step-by-step set of instructions (or point me to a web page that has them). I keep seeing, “simply click on xxxxxx”, but I never see “xxxxxx” as one of the options.

I’m not interested in accessing XP files from W7, just accessing W7 files from XP (without copying them to a jump drive and reloading back-and-forth).

It can run most but not all software written for 32 bit windows XP. There are definitely programs that have issues.

bizerta, on the XP virtual machine click on Tools in the menu bar. If ‘Disable Integration Features’ is checked, uncheck it.

In Tools, go to Settings. Click on Integration Features in left pane. In right pane, check ‘Enable at startup’ and check the C: drive in the Drives section.

But are these older programs 32 bit? Perhaps they are 16 bit, if such a thing exists at all, I know the one I used them for is a WIN 3.1 and may even run in Win 3.0

It’s a move to discontinue some legacy support and some may say to encourage upgrading software.

In my case, the problem programs were definitely 32-bit apps - a 32-bit FORTRAN compiler and the Visual Studio 6.x shell that it ran under. Apparently both messed around with the underlying (32-bit) OS a tad more than Windows 7 was willing to tolerate.

I’m aware of this. But it seems odd that the error would mention 32 bit software as if that was the problem, and not just incomplete compatibility.

probably someone oversimplifying to the point of inaccuracy.