36 kids die in hot cars this year

I am of the firm belief that these are not accidents at all- they’re parents killing children (or caregivers killing children) and should be prosecuted as such.

Witness how many people still fly through the windshield.

Besides the auto industry has to shell out buckets of money, passing the buck along to millions of consumers because of 36 cases?

More people die tripping off a curb, lets dump millions into developing a smartcurb!

You can pontificate until the cows come home, because a rational person wouldn’t even leave a quart of ice cream in a hot car let alone a child.
Leave kid cooking in car for 3 hours while you’re at sears = fucking idiot of the highest magnatude.

This is a stone cold fact, don’t try to debate it.

Leaving a child to broil in a vehicle is anything but natural.

Worldeater, there are several different kinds of “kid left in car” cases. The ones where the parent is aware that the kid is in the car and knowingly goes off shopping or having their nails done, those I have no sympathy for.

The ones where the kid falls asleep in the back of the car on the way to day care and the parent goes to work not realizing that the kid is still there or the case where the parents have missed signals and each thought the other had taken the kid out of the car-- I have immense sympathy for them. Because sometime, yes, people do make terrible mistakes, and they’re not intentional, and they’re not even necessarily due to carelessness. The human mind is not a perfect machine and it glitches sometime. I have a hard time reconciling Zette’s unforgiving stance with the agony of a parent who came out to their car to find out that their life had changed forever through no conscious intention of their own.

WorldEater:

"Witness how many people still fly through the windshield.

Besides the auto industry has to shell out buckets of money, passing the buck along to millions of consumers because of 36 cases?"
Well, less people fly out of windshields than used to. And, as I pointed out, built-in ventilation that keeps cars cooler on hot days isn’t just a safety measure, it would be a good selling point. It would keep the car more comfortable and prevent plastic items like CDs from melting. So it’s not a bad idea just on its own merits.

And we should have none.

I understand what you are saying, but I can’t imagine “missing a signal” of that importance. I don’t care what the circumstances are, because, honestly I can think of very few actual situations in which ‘total moronic idiocy’ wasn’t the main factor in the kids death.

Carelessness is you leave your kid alone in the car while you get gas, or while you run into the bank for 5 minutes.

Incompetence is leaving your child to die in a car for several hours on a 90 day.

I don’t share the view that they are intentional, perhaps one or two, but something like this smacks of a supreme idiot.
[/quote]

Well, less people fly out of windshields than used to. And, as I pointed out, built-in ventilation that keeps cars cooler on hot days isn’t just a safety measure, it would be a good selling point. It would keep the car more comfortable and prevent plastic items like CDs from melting. So it’s not a bad idea just on its own merits. **
[/QUOTE]

No not at all, I just wonder if it would be worth it, as I’m sure these people would find other creative methods to accidentally kill their children.

I do understand where you are coming from, we’ll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Know what I’d like to see? One generation of products i.e. cars etc. that you had to add safety features to, we’d let those products do away with the jokers that wanted to be free of safety features, thus thinning the herd. More air for the smart people.

I like this quote. I like it a lot.

Yes, a better idiot who makes things more expensive for the rest of us.

It’s been very hot in Europe this year – anybody heard of any cases there? Does this happen routinely in the tropics? Or is this primarily a USA phenomenon?

It’s not…it’s 37 now…:frowning:

Mother Forgets Baby in Backseat For Eight Hours

That poor, poor baby…:frowning:

My God! This is still happening? argh. I hate these.

I remember the first time my mom told me about one, I couldn’t stop thinking about it for months. It was just after I’d had my baby girl (who’d kill me if she heard that, as she’s 23 now).

With all the information out there, how can people be so stupid?

I can’t understand those people either. I mean, having a kid changes SO much. You’re ALWAYS aware of it. Even my brain dead ex, (my son’s father), could be counted on to not do something this idiotic.

Like someone else said. I don’t even bring my dog with me if I know I’m going to be in any stores for too long (and yes, it can get hot enough here in AK in the summer to endanger children and dogs left in vehicles, especially up in the “Interior”).
I mean, it just boggles the mind. Now, I’M a dizzy blond from time to time. Every month, I get a case of the “stupids” around that time of month. I’ve put milk in the cupboard. I get mild aphasia. I’ve gone to the wrong job at the wrong time (I have two to four of them depending on the time of year).

I’ve lost my purse, my cell phone. And done much worse, ditzier things as well. But never, in my entire life have I ever forgotten that I’ve had my child with me.

And from the parts of the article I read (I couldn’t handle the whole thing), some of these people were well educated, how on EARTH can someone like that just “forget” their kid is there???

I kind of agree with you here. It “CAN’T” be mere carelessness. Whatever it is, it’s mindboggling. Again, I can’t even begin to fathom how someone could forget that they have a kid in the backseat, let alone leave them there on a hot day.

Well, one thing’s for certain, these parents have their very own special punishment to live with. I doubt anyone will be as unforgiving toward them as they are.

quote:

Originally posted by Finagle
The ones where the kid falls asleep in the back of the car on the way to day care …--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know what you meant to say, sorry something else occured to me.

I know that when my kids were still little enough to take to day care, that I’d be constantly trying to watch them to make sure this didn’t happen.

Nothing worse than trying to re-wake a cranky kid to take him/her into daycare. So, if both parents are in the car, what? Didn’t they plan?

Like “bob, I’ll take the car, you drop Betsey off at daycare, and then pick me up and we’ll pick her up together”??

So, between two parents leaving the house, and one of them getting dropped off at work, the other one just “forgets”???

He/she has just dropped the spouse off, he/she doesn’t “know” that no other stop was made?

Sorry to re-repeat this. It’s just so hard to “get”.

Good question.

A cursory seach found this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/3004308.stm

In the UK we do hear cases of pets suffocating in hot cars each summer, but not children. This is only speculation, but I would imagine that this is because

1. Even this summer, it hasn’t been as hot in Europe as the US regularly gets
  2. The people who would, perhaps, be more likely to leave their kids in cars – not to fall into stereotypes or anything, but the poor and dispossessed, the drug addicts, etc – are far less likely to own a car, at least in the UK
  3. People are more likely to walk or catch the bus to do the kind of errand that in the US might necessitate driving.

Just MHO.

Here’s why I don’t know how to reconcile myself with the “I forgot” thing. When I get out of my car to go into work or just about anywhere, I take a cursory glance inside. I don’t plan it, it’s not intentional, it’s rote: are the doors locked, do I have my keys, do I have my purse/briefcase/lunch, did I put the windows up far enough, did I turn off the lights, did I get my jacket, is everything the way it ought to be?

Obviously not everyone who becomes a parent is locked into the mode of thinking about their child more often than not, but I cannot fathom the state of mind of a parent of a small child who is so self-absorbed or into their work or desire to do whatever it is they’re doing that they don’t take a moment, just a brief glancing moment, to look toward the backseat. Even if you think that the baby is at the daycare, even if you aren’t thinking about the baby at all, getting out and looking toward the back because you are giong to take the baby out becomes the standard. Doing something different than that is odd, it’s out of the ordinary, it’s just so odd that it makes you wonder.

What is it about those days that everything goes so horribly topsy-turvy? What weird quirk of mind was at work?

Or was there one?

The latest story ends with this little chestnut.

Um… Ah… What about using your child to remind yourself to get your child? Do these people consult the rear view mirrors while they drive? Ever? I do understand being forgetful about things like notes and lists, purses, cell phones, and briefcases. How is that going to help? I’ve never left a dog in the car. I’ve never left a plant in the car. I’ve never left ice cream in the car.

Sometimes I’ll leave 12 packs of soda in the car until I need them.

I’m sorry, but I call bullshit on many of these cases. I have a feeling it’s going to come out that a lot of these deaths are like some of the S.I.D.S deaths that turned out to be smotherings.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2001/02/05/national/main269639.shtml
A woman in my old hometown killed 6 (I believe) children by smothering them and they were all classified as “S.I.D.S.” until it was revealed many years later that she had killed each and every one of them.

I think that there are accidental cases (although I’m very suspicious of those, too), and I think that people now have the idea that this is a way to kill kids that gets little investigation due to the “trauma” to the parents.

In the world we live in, I am willing to believe that many of these deaths (if not most) are intentional. This is my gut feeling about them and it’s a horrible way for a child to die. I don’t even forget my CD player in my car for fear of it getting stolen. These people can’t remember that they have an infant strapped in a carseat? It sets off my bullshit meter. Big time.

Oy vey. That’s just ridiculous.

Zette, if you’re referring to the case I think you’re referring to, that’s the one which prompted the SIDS classification in the first place!

I’m not sure what you mean, Jeff- the case I’m referring to is this one:
http://www.nurseweek.com/features/bkreview/sids.html

Yep, that’s the one. From the linked article:

Steinschneider refused to believe the deaths could be anything but SIDS, even after he was proven wrong. Having his name attached to a new disorder and all that grant money probably had something to do with it.