.44 magnum and .44?

Okay, I realize that if you have a firearm in .357 magnum, you can also load and fire .38 cartridges out of it because the only really difference is length and powder.

So, is there a similar equivlent for .44 magnum? A shorter, non-magnum .44 cartridge?

Thanks in advance.

Yes. It’s called a .44 special.

thanks.

The .41 Remington Magnum, however, does not have a shorter “non-magnum” version.

Sure it does. It’s called the .41 Action Express.

You’d have a hard time putting .41AE cartridges in a .41 magnum pistol. The AE is rimless.

Actually .41 AE has a rebated rim actually smaller than the body diameter where a “rimless” case has a rim diameter close to the same diameter as the case body.

.41 AE was created to to be a simple conversion to larger caliber for 9mm auto pistols as the base diameter (the rim) is the same size as 9mm parabellum. The idea was that a conversion would be inexpensive, only requiring a swap of barrel, recoil spring and magazine and not the more expensive slide. The idea had merit but it’s fizzled out probably as an answer to a question no one asked.

Actually, Padeye, part of the problem was functionality-related. The rebated rim, being smaller than the cartridge body diameter, tended to be difficult for the breechface to “catch” on the forward stroke of the slide (which strips the round out of the magazine and slides it forward into the barrel breech.)

In other words, the rebated-rim rounds tended to have a higher incidence of failure-to-feed malfunctions. NOT, as I’m sure you’re aware, a good thing in what is putatively a self-defense/law-enforcement firearm.

That’s the main thing that killed the .41 AE, and, indirectly, led to the development of the .40 S&W (which in turn led to the .357 SIG, etc…)

… which is a shortened, lower power version of the 10mm. Almost a “10mm Special”. The Smith and Wesson 610 revolver will take both 10mm and .40 S&W, using moon clips.

Imagine if the .357 Sig was based on the 10mm case instead of the .40 S&W. Wowee.

pkbites: hmmm… sorta like the .50 Action Express is a shorter version of the .50 BMG? Sorry, I couldn’t resist. Seriously, the .41 AE was not meant to be a round compatible with revolvers chambered for the .41 Remington Magnum.

Padeye, Doc Nickel, et al: the more logical conversion set was from 9X19 to 9X21 - change the barrel and you’re all set. I shot a TZ-75 converted to 9X21 in IPSC for a while. This, of course, was a rule-bending trick to get the 9mm to “make major.” This gun was built for me by Wild West Guns, by the way, and ran like a well-oiled machine. The three port compensator and light recoil provided little to no muzzle rise.

You’re right. But I think it might have been ment to be a semi-auto round with the same power of a 41 mag. If I remembercorrectly, many of the guns chambered for this round were foriegn (Isreali I believe). Padeye made the comment about how it answered a question not asked. I agree. The 41AE pretty much went nowhere quickly.

Radar Ralf, drop me an email please. You don’t have yours on your profile. I want to ask some questions about your TZ-75. I’ve got a couple of EAA Witness pistols which are essentially the same. One’s a 9mm and one .45 ACP with the single chamber carry comp.

Just to pick a small nit, the .41 AE was only meant to duplicate the reducd power .41 mag police load, not full power loads. .41 mag is in the same “oomph” neighborhood as .44 mag and the 9mm framed guns made for .41 AE could not handle those pressures. The .41 mag was actually invented to be a police caliber with more power than .357 but without the recoil of .44 mag. It never became overwhelmingly popular but there’s still a core of loyal devotees. It was discontinued for a while but S&W still makes some revolvers in that caliber. There are some Ruger Blackhawk revolvers and Marlin 1894 rifles in .41 mag that fetch a bit of a premium on the used market.

Padeye: wilco And don’t forget the Desert Eagle .41 Mag… The original TZ-75 as imported by FIE could be purchased with both 9X19 and .41AE, IIRC. There were several TZ-75 clones (which itself was a clone of the CZ-75) made by Springfield, IAI, and others, but I have always believed that the original Tanfoglio TZ-75 was the best of the bunch. Apparently American Rifleman thought so, too, because they praised it effusively when it first came on the scene. They said it was almost, but not quite, as good as the CZ-75. Since the safety is frame mounted, it could be carried in the manner of the Colt 1911A1, and this feature drew the attention of many 1911 users.

I was unaware of a .41 mag Desert Eagle.

The OP was answered in the first reply and we’ve hijacked this into IMHO territory enough so I started a new thread in IMHO.