5.1 sound on my laptop

I’ve got a Dell Inspiron E1505. I recently discovered that when I watch a DVD on my laptop with 5.1 sound, the voices are so muted I can barely hear them. I was watching “300” last week, and that movie had a 2-channel option. However, I just bought “Hot Fuzz”, and it is 5.1-only. How the heck do I fix this?

Are you using just the internal speakers? I don’t think there is any way to get Dolby 5.1 surround sound without an external 5.1 compatible amplifier, subwoofer and 4 speakers. I am surprised that DVD doesn’t have a two channel playback option.

I’ve got some external speakers attached, but there is no subwoofer.

Try setting the player configuration to 2 speaker output stereo mode. This is not the menu from the DVD.

Another thing is look at the windows volume control for the wave output to be sure it is at full volume. Next check the master volume control to see it’s on full. Check the DVD player volume control to see if it’s on full volume.

I’m going to guess the most likely cause is the wave volume is lowered.

Lastly a partially inserted plug into the minijack can pass a signal that is weak. Make sure the volume is up on the speaker too. I had to add that one even though it’s obvious.

I’m trying to find that configuration in the player. Can I do this in WMP? or the Media Center?

And the wave output is fine.

Never mind, I found it. It can be done in WMP, option is called “two channel downmix”.

Did it work? I just want to know if it worked, I have nothing beyond what I already said.