5 lbs of very ripe tomatoes

Yesterday my local produce stand was clearing out some organic heirloom tomatoes that were getting to the squishy-ripe phase. I managed to snag a 5 lb box of 'em for 99 cents! :cool:
So, the question is, now what? They are quite a mix - some red plum tomatoes, some green zebra stripey ones, some yellow and purple ones. I was thinking of making some into sauce, and the Alton Brown oven roasting recipe looks promising: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/tomato-sauce-recipe/

Any other suggestions?

I picked up swiss chard, avocados, green beans, golden and chiogga beets, lettuce and cippoline (sp?) onions as well. I was thinking of a using some of those tomatoes in a lentil soup with swiss chard.

Oooh! Oooh! You can make the world’s best tomato soup with them. I love this recipe, but it calls for 5 pounds of tomatoes, so I can only make it a couple of times during the summer when my garden is at it’s peak.

Cut your tomatoes into quarters. Take about 6-8 green onions or shallots and cut them up, too. Melt 3 Tbsp. butter in a large soup pot. Throw in the tomatoes, onions, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 c. water, put a lid on the pot, and turn the heat down to low. Cook for 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally. The tomatoes will break down as they cook. Put the whole thing through a food mill and season with salt and pepper to taste. If you want, add basil or oregano.

Easy and deeelicious.

Do do the oven roasting or even broiling. I love to broil tomatoes before rendering them into sauce or salsa. It cooks them down a bit, intensifying their sweetness, and blackens the skins. You can add one or two of the blackened skins to the sauce and achieve a roasty, smoky effect that’s to die for. It’s also extremely easy to remove all the skins from the cooked tomatoes before proceeding, as opposed to plunging the tomatoes into boiling water to do the same.

I got nuttin’ to add to the excellent suggestions about the 'maters, but roasted beets are wonderful, and grilled beets are even MORE wonderful!

In Amatrice, near Rome, they make a pasta dish that starts with half the tomatoes you’re going to use, and coarsely chopped onion. You saute that over pretty high heat until the tomatoes and onion are barely caramelized, (onions are brown around the edges.) Then you turn down the heat, add the rest of the tomatoes and the garlic. Resist the temptation to get too fancy. The star here is the tomatoes and onion, and their sweetness.

OK - I bought the beets on a whim (I have zero self control at the produce stand. Better than having no self control in Vegas, I guess, but I buy all kinds of stuff that I don’t know what to do with at the veggie place!)

Should I roast 'em in foil? without? for how long? At the moment, grilling isn’t an option, but for future reference, do I just slice and throw on the grill?

Hmmm…
I think that I may try a combo of teela brown’s and burundi’s suggestions. I’m going to try the soup idea BUT with a few broiled blackened ones added. Did I mention that I have other tomatoes as well, so right now I have almost 9 pounds of tomatoes on the kitchen counter. Wish me luck!

Tomato Fight!!

:splat:

Splat back at ya!

SPLAT !!!:
Oh, wait, these are multicolored tomatoes!
SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT!

Anyone else wanna be a tough guy in a tomato fight? :stuck_out_tongue:

Mutilcolored?

SPLAT!!!

SPLAT!!!

StG

StGermain, you’re lucky that the rest of my tomatoes are under the broiler and therefore unlaunchable!
:slight_smile:

Have fun! Just a word of warning, we had the tomato soup last night, and that stuff is rich. Think 5 lbs of tomatoes cooked down into two bowls of soup. I got a bellyache after eating it. So, while it’s still an awesome, awesome dish, I recommend diluting the soup with a bit of warm water or cream before serving.

Success!
burundi, you ain’t kidding! 5 lbs is now just a little over 2 cups! I ended up broiling them in a big roasting pan, and all of the juices were thickened and caramelized. I tried a little taste, and it is easily the most tomato-y thing I’ve ever tasted.
I also came to the same conclusion that it would be a bit much for a whole bowl of soup, I might add a little cream and have it in tiny servings, like fancy restaurant style. Oooh la la! :stuck_out_tongue:

Now, what about the beets?

Ooooh, yum! Our First Vegetable Garden had some issues, but we have a helluva tomato crop. We just picked out 5lbs of tomatoes (easily triple to quadruple that much ripe on the vine left behind) and I have this recipe currently heating up on the stove. Sounds YUMMY!

I doubled the amount of water as another Doper suggested, but otherwise am following your recipe as written. If it’s really yummy, I think I might pick enough to make a couple more batches of it and freeze it for winter.

But…BTW…is a “food mill” essentially a food processor and/or blender? You lost me there. I’m domestically lacking. :wink:

No, a food mill is essentially a pot with holes at the bottom and a fan blade attached to a handle in the middle that you twirl around to mush things through the holes into a pot below, like this.

I made spaghetti sauce for dinner tonight, with tomatoes and herbs from my garden. It was VERY yummy, if I do say so, myself. There’s nothing like home grown veggies.

Right. A food mill will filter out most skins and seeds, whereas a food processor will just grind them up.

ETA: Glad you liked the soup, Jimmy! Shayna, I need to make some tomato sauce soon. I love this time of year!