6 letter 1 syllable

Is this so simple I can’t get it? I’m simple minded i should know it. Maybe the word is down there burned to a crisp in some of my fried brain cells. I been worrying about this for a week. " Start with a six letter word of one syllable, remove two letters to produce a two syllable word. " I came up with “staves”
but the guy claims both words are English.

“Pardon me while I have a strange interlude.”-Marx

Spoilt
Soil

Good greif!!! And I just had an argument with him,he disputed that “spelt” was an English word!!! I gave him spalt, spelt, and spilt, there is no spolt so I told him the word train was spoilt!!! DOH!!! DOH!!! Double DOH!!! Say.Finagle, who are you over on the HO boards?

Triple DOH!!! spoilt is 2 syllables. Just the surprise of seeing it got me all shook up.

Plague.
Ague.

ARGHHHH!! it is some kind of curse.( It’s that eel magic from feb 14.) I almost typed that it had been plaguing me for a week!!! Thank you, O,Fretful one. My stupidity makes me ache all over.

Billed
Bile

Filled
File

Milled
Mile

Uhh, Finagle? Are you from Takes-us by any chance?

For most speakers of English, Soil, Bile, File, and Mile are single syllable words. Even regions where the accent pronounces bile as baa yul will generally classify it as a single syllable word, however it is spoken.

Main Entry: ague
Pronunciation: 'A-(")gyü
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French aguë, from Medieval Latin (febris) acuta, literally, sharp fever, from Latin, feminine of acutus sharp – more at ACUTE
Date: 14th century
1 : a fever (as malaria) marked by paroxysms of chills, fever, and sweating that recur at regular intervals
2 : a fit of shivering : CHILL

• agu·ish /'A-"gyü-ish/ adjective

Sorry, never heard this one before.

gasp! You didn’t read Red Badge of Courage in English as a high school sophomore? (Although, I will admit that outside that novel it doesn’t make it into common English very often, these days.)

No, but I might have read the Cliff’s Notes. :wink:

Wayull,ahm frum Texas. Takes-us sounds like sumbudy tryin to imitate …oh West Virginia mebbee. It’s(depending on what part of the state you are from) Tex-iss,Tex-us,Tex-uz Or in moments of high emotion Tex-uzzzzz or even texsss-UHZ. Bile would be more like bye uhll, and sometimes that uh is just sorta hinted at,almost shape your mouth to say it but don’t.Not even as strong as unaspirated. Any way I think bein from Texas is why I fell for that “spoilt” Sometimes it is pronounced almost like “Spalt” spahlt. But bile ,mile etc are one,even ef we say myull. But I don’t think I understand one of my online websters I get this Pronunciation: 'spoi(&)l and this Pronunciation: 'bI(&)l Now is spoil two syl.'s? If so then isn’t bile also? If spoilt is 2, it doesn’t work.But if spoilt is 1 then so is soil so that wont work. Billed is 1,but maybe bile is 2 ? Any way I am sticking with Plague, ague. I know those words, maybe that has something to do with being from Texas too, Democritus. My grandmother used to use it.Generally there was some minor dull joint ache associated with what she called the ague. Nowadays I think people say they are feeling ‘fluish’ ,don’t have the flu exactly but it kinda feels like it could turn into the flu. I definately had the classic ague last spring, don’t know what caused it but it was definate two hour cycle of high fever then shivering chills with a fit of sneezing then aches thrown in on cycle too, 15 minute spells with 15 min between. BTW where ARE you from ,Fin? And thanks agin fur the plague,Porpentine.